Key Activity Areas
Technical Design & Oversight
- Responsible for the overall quality and performance of all Medair South Sudan WASH programmes.
- In close liaison with HQ WASH Advisor on matters of programme quality, objectives, and design.
- Define the country level scope for the WASH program based on beneficiary needs.
- Provide technical support to the WASH teams’ in all project sites, including the evaluation and impact analysis of current projects and the writing of donor proposals and reports.
- Research and recommend appropriate technologies for use in country WASH programs.
- Initiate and/or lead WASH Technical Working Groups (TWG).
- Ensure technical cohesion between the various country WASH programs.
- Responsible for ensuring all WASH project implementation is according to Medair policy and compliant with Medair, donor, South Sudanese and international guidelines, policies and standards.
- Ensure sectoral integration, learning, sharing and adoption of best practices as outlined in Sphere guidelines, and Medair South Sudan guidelines to ensure quality of projects in liaison with Monitoring and Evaluation Officer, Health and Nutrition Advisors, and under advice of HQ WASH Advisor.
Staff Management & Leadership
- Support in the necessary technical development of WASH staff by developing training opportunities.
- Support WASH Project Managers and Project Coordinators with the selection of appropriate technical knowledge when recruiting WASH staff.
- Liaise with stakeholders: beneficiaries, ministries, local government officials, UN agencies (UNICEF, UNOCHA) and NGOs, on overall WASH coordination for South Sudan.
- Monitor the project performance and make necessary recommendations.
- Identify and initiate corrective action related to changes to the project scope, project schedule and project costs in consultation with senior management.
- Responsible for input to all WASH external reports and proposals for the Country Programme.
- Responsible for providing accurate and timely feedback on all WASH technical and programme issues.
Logistics & Finance
- Ensure quality and technical specifications of all WASH-specific supplies procured.
- Review field expenditures above USD 5,000.
- Adhere to the security guidelines employed by Medair on site and when travelling.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
- This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a WASH-related field (eg. civil engineering, hydrogeology/hydrology).
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- 2 years professional experience in WASH in a developing country, preferably in a humanitarian context.
- Desire to encourage the growth of each member. Committed to consultative and servant leadership.
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills. Open to group discussion and decision-making.
- Diplomatic and sensitive to cross cultural issues. Capacity to work under pressure and deadlines.
- Competent report-writing skills. Able to provide constructive critique and evaluation.
- Technical experience with WASH infrastructure (e.g. latrine designs, borehole installation, hand pump repair, and construction of hand dug wells) and software/training (behaviour change communication).
- Understanding and appreciation of the links between the hardware (water, sanitation facilities) and behaviour change.
- Experience in the design, implementation and evaluation of WASH programmes.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*