Under the direct supervision of the IOM Global Coordinator for OTI Programs, and the overall supervision of the Head of the Community Stabilization Unit, the incumbent will provide support to IOM programming funded by the Office of Transition Initiatives (OTI). This position is required to contribute to the strengthening of IOM’s role within the Framework of Agreement with the USAID/OTI Office and support IOM Washington DC’s Four Corner Terms of Reference, applicable to USAID/OTI-funded programs.
The OTI Programs Support Associate will need to be highly knowledgeable about both OTI and IOM programming objectives and be very familiar with both organizations’ standard procedures and processes.
- Facilitate full knowledge and understanding of all OTI-funded IOM programs, in particular by reading and assisting with the editing of the weekly and quarterly reports of OTI programs being implemented by IOM field Missions.
- Serve as the primary program(s) focal point and OTI DC Programs Point of Contact in the absence of Program Officers or as required.
- Develop security awareness for countries where IOM is implementing an OTI program and ensure relevant security information is submitted to OTI Washington. Submit updates from IOM’s Global Security Situation Report to OTI Washington.
- Develop an understanding of OTI Proprietary management tools and systems, including OTI Anywhere, OTI Database, pipelines, Program Performance Reviews, Program Management Reviews, Rolling Assessments, and Strategic Review Sessions and ensure that the terms of those system are well respected
- Participate in, and lead if needed, briefings with OTI and USAID and participate, in 2 Corner and 4 Corner calls to have good understanding of field procedures and rules / regulations and current programming. Assist with preparing agendas, notes and following-up on action points.
- Support MASS staff, the Community Stabilization Unit in DC and the Transition and Recovery Division in HQ with the transfer of knowledge, best practices, and lessons learned between IOM’s OTI programs and within the Organization’s thematic portfolio. This is to include assisting with horizontal staff meetings and calls for all existing IOM/OTI programs.
- Verify that records of the procedures and templates used by the IOM/OTI teams in the field are consolidated and maintained. Support the preparation of specific guidelines, including the preparation of standardized programming documents on topics identified by the supervisor.
- Support the preparation and revision of budget pipelines required for each new obligation as well as budget and budget notes for ceiling extensions. Create and maintain a tracking mechanism for all pipelines and budgets for each IOM/OTI program.
- Support the preparation and revision of concept notes, proposals, and budgets for new OTI programming; research potential countries for OTI programming and programming modalities, including regional programming, prepare reports or informational pieces for review by the Program Officers and submission to OTI.
- Be prepared to travel the field to provide any support as required and backstop Associate Program Officer (APO) positions when needed.
- Support the development and diffusion of key training material related to OTI specific programming activities, including database trainings to IOM Washington staff or initial database training to staff to be deployed to the field.
- Complete OTI trainings as rolled out on OTI Anywhere and participate in trainings provided by OTI for implementing partners. Represent IOM at implementing partners’ meetings with OTI and USAID, as required.
- Support the OTI HR/CSU Administrative Assistant as needed.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the IOM Washington Chief of Mission and/or Head of CSU.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism
- Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
- Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
- Monitors own work to correct errors
- Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
- Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients
- Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors, governments and project beneficiaries
- Keeps clients informed of developments and setbacks
- Continuous Learning
- Contributes to colleagues’ learning
- Demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas
- Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area
- Actively shares relevant information
- Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures
- Writes clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience
- Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
Creativity and Initiative
- Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Expands responsibilities while maintaining existing ones
- Persuades others to consider new ideas
- Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems Leadership and Negotiation
- Convinces others to share resources
- Actively identifies opportunities for and promotes organizational change
- Presents goals as shared interests
- Articulates vision to motivate colleagues and follows through with commitments
- Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
- Identifies ways for their staff to develop their abilities and careers
- Provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
- Uses staff evaluations appropriately in recruitment and other relevant HR procedures
- Holds directly reporting managers accountable for providing fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
Planning and Organizing
- Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
- Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others
- Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers
- Identifies risks and makes contingency plans
- Adjusts priorities and plans to achieve goals
- Allocates appropriate time and resources for own work and that of team members
- Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
- Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
- Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
- Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
- Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
- Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions
- Actively contributes to an effective, collegial and agreeable team environment
- Contributes to, and follows, team objectives
- Gives credit where credit is due
- Seeks input and feedback from others
- Delegates tasks and responsibilities as appropriate
- Actively supports and implements final group decisions
- Takes joint responsibility for team’s work
- Learns about developments in available technology
- Proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
- Understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work
- Establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM needs
- Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations
- Effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners
- Works effectively with local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the broader community to advance country office or regional objectives
Education and Experience:
- University degree, preferably in Political Science, International Relations or Economics
- A minimum of six (6) years’ relevant experience required, preferably with an international organization in the relief and development field
- Strong competency in project budgeting and financial reporting for US government
- USAID/OTI experience is an advantage
- Excellent writing ability in the English language
- High level of computer literacy particularly Excel
- Strong analytical and communication skills
- Ability to coordinate with, and across, multiple stakeholders on complex issues
- Ability to work under tight timelines
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds
- Strong degree of personal commitment and drive for results.
- Field experience, particularly in transition and stabilization programming, is an advantage
Languages: Fluency in English
Please submit a letter of interest and up-to-date curriculum vitae by November 10, 2017.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*