The Center for Global Development, an independent, nonpartisan think tank in Washington, DC and with a CGD Europe office in London, seeks an Institutional Advancement Officer to oversee all strategic and functional aspects of CGD’s fundraising activities. The Institutional Advancement Officer will collaborate closely with the Vice President of Development – during a short interim period with the Chief Operating Officer – and the IA team to manage the IA team’s daily operations, pursue new funding relationships, and steward ongoing partnerships. This is an excellent opportunity for an energetic and dedicated individual to have a significant impact on CGD’s trajectory and in the field of international economic development.
Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Work with the Vice President of Development and senior management to develop and implement an effective fundraising strategy for CGD’s entire research portfolio, as well as broader institutional priorities;
- Work with the Vice President of Development and Chief Financial Officer to set annual fundraising targets, as well as quarterly milestones and means for tracking progress towards targets;
- Manage the identification and cultivation of prospective funders interested in CGD’s work streams;
- Oversee writing and submission of funding proposals and reporting to donors;
- Regularly meet with CGD senior research staff to stay up to date on upcoming work streams and implement procedures to identify new sources of funding in collaboration with researchers;
- Attend meetings with donors and prospects along with members of the IA team and/or other staff; manage and initiate follow-up as appropriate;
- Maintain and coordinate consistent quality communications with donors and prospects in coordination with the Vice President of Development and IA team members;
- Establish and maintain robust procedures and manage IA team members to ensure CGD meets its formal reporting commitments using Salesforce;
- Provide fundraising input and oversight in the planning and implementation of events, and ensure the right people are invited to these events, with insight from IA team members.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree in business, non-profit management, international development or related field preferred. 4+ years of experience in fundraising, event planning, and non-profit management a plus, ideally in policy, think tanks or academic research. Experience leading and managing others, specifically regarding relationship management desirable;
- Ability to maintain strong working relationships with high level individuals, executive management, and key donors;
- Exceptional writing and communication skills required. Clear and concise writing is a must;
- High level communication skills – particularly in pitch, negotiation and persuasion;
- Poise, confidence, self-motivated, collaborative, outstanding time management skills and hardworking;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite required, ability to quickly learn and have a high level of comfort with new technology systems including Salesforce a plus;
- Excellent written English usage, grammar, and punctuation;
- Friendly and flexible team player attitude; a willingness to pitch into all projects and tasks is a must;
- Excellent follow-through and attention to detail, with the ability to track and manage multiple critical relationships.
How to Apply
Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and salary requirements to [email protected]. Please use “Institutional Advancement Officer - DC” in the subject line of email correspondence. No phone calls or recruiters, please.
CGD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age or sexual orientation shall have equal access to positions, limited only by their ability to do the job. Finalist(s) for the position may be subject to a pre-employment background screening as a condition of employment.