Based in the office in Dakar, the Analyst will research and produce reports on security, political, legal, governance, human rights and social issues related to the Sahel region and its countries.
- Conducts extensive field research into prevailing issues of the countries in West Africa with a primary focus on the Sahel region;
- Provides written analyses on the key issues;
- Prepares written products, such as detailed reports, briefing papers and derivative products (op eds, blogs, short notes) setting out relevant research findings and policy recommendations in concise and clear fashion;
- Proposes policy initiatives for governmental, intergovernmental, political, and non-governmental stakeholders to address the underlying issues;
- Supports advocacy efforts when needed by representing Crisis Group mostly at regional evens and meetings as well as, as requested by Project Director, in the media;
- Provide general support to the Project and/or Program Director with respect to current and future Crisis Groups activities and projects in the region, especially by preparing internal notes on relevant key issues.
- Bachelor’s degree in international relations, political science, journalism, sociology or equivalent through experience. Masters degree an asset;
- Three to five years professional experience in government, academia, international organisations, NGOs or journalism;
- Proven excellent writing skills and the ability to formulate well-targeted policy recommendations;
- Knowledge of politics and society in a specific country and/or region;
- Experience in political analysis and conflict prevention;
- Fluency in English; knowledge of local languages advantageous;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including good public presentation skills, and a very strong capacity for effective teamwork;
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and often demanding environment.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*