Reporting to the director of research and investigations, the MENA research associate is an Arabic speaker who will assist with Arabic-language research for PHR’s Syria and Yemen work and other emergency research as needed. The associate will conduct open-source research on attacks on health care facilities and workers in Syria and Yemen, as well as other health-related violations of human rights and humanitarian law, and will work closely with members of PHR’s MENA research team.
The associate must be able to work on occasion from our NYC office for training or coordination purposes. Flexible hours.
Reports to: Director of Research and Investigations.
Under the direction of the director of research and investigations, the research associate will:
- Conduct Arabic-language open-source research on attacks on health care in Syria and Yemen;
- Monitor conflict developments in Syria and Yemen for violations of medical neutrality;
- Assist in the organization of research and maintain methodological adherence;
- Collaborate closely with investigations staff in analyzing trends in data;
- Respond promptly to queries and requests for information from PHR colleagues;
- Assist with other research and programmatic support as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree, as a minimum;
- Fluency in spoken and written Arabic required;
- At least one year of demonstrated research, analytical, and writing experience;
- Prior experience working with traumatic material recommended;
- Strong interest in and commitment to human rights principles and values;
- Interest in and knowledge of international humanitarian law a plus;
- Knowledge of the Syrian or Yemen conflicts preferred;
- Exceptional analytical, writing, and verbal skills;
- Outstanding organizational skills, attention to detail, and follow-through a must;
- Energetic self-starter and proven ability to work effectively under pressure;
- A strong team player who demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills, maturity, creativity, flexibility, passion for the program mission, patience, and a good sense of humor;
- Demonstrated commitment to cultural competency and comfortable working with people from diverse backgrounds and experiences;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, effectively, and professionally with multiple stakeholders and organizations.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*