Vacancy Notice: 2017- 27
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade G6
Type of Appointment: Fixed Term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 26 November 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Working within the Global Programme Support Unit (GPS) of the Policy and Programme Support Division (PPSD), the successful candidate will assist in providing technical support to the IOM Regional Office in Brussels in programming and liaison functions vis-a-vis the EU Institutions and EU Member States. With a focus on the EU external policy and funding, the specific geographic region (Africa or Asia & Middle East) covered by the position will be determined upon selection. He/she may also be asked to provide support to other regions covered by EU external policy and funding in line with the priorities of the Global Programme Support Unit.
- Assist in providing technical assistance to relevant IOM offices for the implementation, reporting, and visibility and communication of EU-funded projects, in compliance with donor requirements and priorities;
- Assist in providing technical assistance to relevant IOM offices in project development in response to EU calls for proposal and tenders and direct funding opportunities, in compliance with donor requirements and priorities;
- Support negotiations and liaison with the European Commission and other relevant EU institutions and agencies for projects signed centrally with the EU in Brussels;
- Monitor, analyze and inform on relevant EU external policy and funding opportunities to be used for the development of appropriate strategies, action plans and projects/programmes;
- Contribute to the Regional Office’s efforts towards enhancing its advocacy and outreach functions with the European Commission and other relevant EU institutions and agencies as relates to external policies and projects;
- Support internal and external communication on IOM achievements and project results relevant to the geographic area;
- Research and compile information for the preparation and production of internal briefings, recommendations, policy papers, presentations, reports and communication materials;
- Assist in knowledge management efforts of the GPS unit and in the development and delivery of internal capacity building materials and training on EU external policy and funding for IOM staff;
- As delegated, support organization and follow-up of project and liaison events, meetings, and seminars;
- Undertake duty travel related to the above responsibilities, as required;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor degree in Political or Social Sciences, Law and/or International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution with at least four years of relevant professional experience. Master degree in related fields is an advantage.
- Minimum six years of professional experience in an international environment is highly desirable;
- Excellent knowledge of EU institutions, EU decision-making and financial instruments for external action - especially DGs DEVCO and/or NEAR, including related funding opportunities is essential;
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge on migration in Africa and/or Asia and the Middle East;
- Demonstrated experience in project development and implementation;
- Excellent writing, drafting and reporting skills;
- Demonstrated experience in liaising with EU institutions and well as other national, regional and international counterparts.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
- Takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism;
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients and stakeholders;
- Promotes continuous learning and contributes to colleagues’ learning;
- Writes and communicates clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience;
- Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services and proactively develops new ways to resolve problems;
- Plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts;
- Contributes to, and follows team objectives;
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation;
- Displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- The appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable;
- This post is subject to local recruitment. Only persons holding a valid residence and work permit for Belgium will be eligible for consideration.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications – Personal History Form and Cover Letter to to [email protected] by 26 November 2017 midnight at the latest, referring to this advertisement. To download Personal History Form please refer to: http://eea.iom.int/images/Download/IOM_Personal_History_Form.xls.
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications duly completed.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*