The incumbent assists the Director in conceptualizing and implementing the work program of the WOC for the promotion of WIPO's mandate and for improving the quality and timeliness of WIPO services for the protection and enforcement of IP rights (IPRs). The incumbent also acts as Officer-in-Charge and represents WIPO in the absence of the Director. The incumbent works under the supervision of the Director of the WOC.
Duties and responsibilities
The incumbent will perform the following principal duties:
- Provide support to the Director in setting the strategic design and formulation, implementation and evaluation of WOC's workplan to enhance WIPO services in China; submit planning and budget proposals and activities in conformity with defined outcomes and objectives and monitor their execution;
- Coordinate program activities and assist the Director with the management of the Office including on operational, financial and administrative matters and the preparation of related reports; review and authorize financial transactions and other administrative actions;
- Analyze needs and trends in China and provide analysis and recommendations to the Director on key expectations, challenges and evolutions IP related fields, taking into account political and economic circumstances;
- Undertake research and write reports on various economic and social subjects of interest to WIPO and ensure dissemination of information to concerned work units at HQ;
- Strengthen and develop relations with IP stakeholders in China and provide policy and procedural advice on the promotion of IPR protection;
- Develop and maintain contacts with officials of the host government with a view to promoting cooperation and for the sustainable economic development of China through the use of IP systems;
- Develop and maintain contacts with officials from intergovernmental agencies based in China on matters of administration and common system interest with a view to building synergies;
- Represent WPO and provide substantive expertise and authoritative advice at international, regional and national meetings; prepare and present papers on behalf of WIPO;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Advanced university degree in management, business administration, international relations, law, economics or other related field. A first-level university degree plus two years of relevant professional experience in addition to the years of experience as mentioned below may be acceptable in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- At least 12 years of related professional experience in the field of intellectual property, management or international relations.
- Experience of the business and administrative procedures of national/regional IP institutions.
- Excellent knowledge of Chinese and good knowledge of English.
- Ability to work in other official UN languages.
Job related competencies
- Ability to manage financial resources in accordance with applicable administrative and financial rules, regulations and procedures;
- Ability to build and enhance internal and external partnerships and promote synergies; ability to promote WIPO's mandate;
- Good knowledge of the subject areas dealt with by the Organization, in particular IP, and ability to deliver speeches;
- Sound political judgement;
- Ability to represent the Organization and to provide authoritative (both policy and technical) advice and guidance;
- Demonstrated analytical and conceptual skills;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Communicating effectively;
- Respecting individual and cultural differences;
- Showing team spirit;
- Managing yourself;
- Producing results;
- Embracing change;
- Respecting ethics and values.
WIPO Managerial Competencies
- Creating a stimulating work environment;
- Planning and managing resources;
- Promoting change, innovation and learning;
- Building and promoting partnerships;
- Leading WIPO to the future.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*