The European Endowment for Democracy is looking for a committed and experienced Operations Officer (Budget and Finance) to join its Secretariat in March 2018.
Deadline for applications: 3rd January 2018.
1-year contract renewable depending on performance and funds
The European Endowment for Democracy (EED) is an independent, grant-making organisation, established in 2013 by the European Union (EU) and EU member states to foster democracy in the countries of the European Neighbourhood and beyond.
Since its inception, EED has provided over 500 grants and evolved into a vibrant, innovative and respected member of the democracy support community. EED funds a vast array of pro-democracy actors including human rights and political activists, pro-democratic movements, civil society organisations, independent journalists and media.
This is a great opportunity to join EED in a challenging and varied role. As Operations Officer, you will work in a small team responsible for the financial planning, monitoring and reporting of grants from donors to EED, prepare for audits, and carry out procurement for services and supplies. Experience of EC grant management policies and financial operations, and a good knowledge of grant-making and democracy support procedures, is essential.
Applicants should be ambitious and driven, with at least two years of proven full-time professional experience related to the duties of this position and a degree in Public or Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or related discipline. Reporting directly to the Director of Operations, the position consists of:
1. Main tasks of the post:
- Planning, monitoring and reporting on the financial operations of donors grants to EED;
- Preparing for audits of EED funds, and implementing internal controls to ensure the eligibility of relevant expenditures;
- Carrying out procurement for services and supplies within EED operating budget.
2. Duties and Responsibilities:
The Operations Officer (Budget and Finance) works closely with the Operations Officer and reports directly to the Director of Operations and shall work on:
- preparing budgets for EED grants, regularly monitoring budget implementation and updating forecasts;
- drafting regular and ad hoc budgetary and financial reports, including for the EC and other donors;
- making budgetary expense allocations, reconciling budgetary payments, and consolidation of budget statements;
- verifying invoices, expense claims and other EED financial documents to check that they comply with EED financial regulations;
- approving financial transactions and making payments in accordance with the financial regulations and rules, administrative instructions, EC regulations and other relevant documents of the Belgian law as well as the EU law if necessary;
- ensuring maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures;
- preparing for audits and proper filing of tax returns;
- making payments in line with EED procedures and financial regulations;
- preparing procurement documentation for services and supplies contracted through the EED operating budget, including preparing tender reports and contracts and communication with tenderers;
- ensuring that all relevant financial records are properly maintained;
- ensuring legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions;
- remaining up to date on auditing standards generally accepted in the EU, tax code and business law;
- providing advice, financial interpretations, adaptations and corrective actions in response to audits and other queries to ensure adherence to financial regulations and rules, donor requirements, administrative instructions and other relevant documents of the Belgian law as well as the EU law if necessary;
- performing other tasks for the Director of Operations as required.
3. Key eligibility and selection criteria
a. Conditions for eligibility:
- preferably be a national or having permanent residence permitof one of the EU/EEA countries or Switzerland;
- be entitled to his/her full rights as a citizen;
- have completed any obligations imposed on him/her by the laws concerning military service;
- produces the appropriate character references as to his/her suitability for the performance of his/her duties;
- be physically fit to perform his/her duties;
- hold, or be in a position to obtain, a valid Personnel Security Clearance Certificate (national or EU PSC at CONFIDENTIAL and/or EU SECRET level).
b. Essential selection criteria
Level and type of formal education:
- degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or related discipline.
- at least two years of proven full-time professional experience related to the duties and responsibilities of this position;
- working experience in democracy-related projects and programmes in government or international organisations or from the civil society.
- knowledge and experience of EC grant management policies and financial regulations;
- knowledge and experience of Belgian legal, tax, and accounting policies and procedures would be an advantage;
- thorough working knowledge of English language;
- satisfactory knowledge of other languages relevant to the post would be a significant asset (in particular French). Knowledge of other languages relevant to EED’s work (e.g. Arabic, Russian, Serbo-Croatian-Bosnian or Albanian) would be an asset;
- good knowledge of grant-making and democracy support procedures;
- good knowledge of the European Institutions and working mechanisms within the EU;
- ability to keep full confidentiality about all assigned tasks and related documentation as well as capacity to exercise confidentiality, discretion and tact when dealing with diverse groups of people;
- high degree of communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills;
- ability to develop strong working relationships internally and externally at all levels;
- thorough understanding of social media, its purpose and exploitation;
- solid ICT skills (advanced Excel user and experienced with accounting/financial software);
- high personal and professional culture;
- ability to work in a multi-ethnic and multi-national environment.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*