If you are passionate about transforming communities with a mission-driven organization, then we have the opportunity for you!
Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service (LIRS) is seeking a Refugee Advocacy Officer who will carry out LIRS’s advocacy efforts in collaboration with the Director for Advocacy and other LIRS staff to ensure the organization achieves its overall objectives in key priority areas with an emphasis on our work around refugee resettlement. S/He will shape and execute advocacy priorities and policy recommendations and will support LIRS partners and networks in advocacy through direct working relationships, participation in advocacy planning and events, and grass-tops and grass-roots engagement and mobilization.
· Bachelor’s degree with a minimum combined 4-6 years of experience in a relevant field such as international relations, public policy, or social work. Advanced Degree Preferred. Appropriations experience preferred.
· A minimum of three years of increasing responsibility in advancing a public policy agenda in a nonprofit environment or equivalent experience.
· Ability to maintain and nurture collegial relationships with Members of Congress, LIRS and congressional staff, executive branch officials, coalition partners, Lutheran partners, refugees and migrants and other stakeholders.
· A strong understanding or willingness to learn the refugee resettlement system, international and domestic laws relevant to refugees and related funding vehicles.
· Knowledge of federal legislative and regulatory processes, including the ability to track and interpret legislation.
· Strong understanding of the role of administrative departments and their pressure points.
· Demonstrated skills in synthesizing and communicating complex policy issues for different audiences.
· Excellent communication skills, especially writing and public speaking.
· Familiarity with non-profit advocacy work and experience working with coalitions.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
· Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
· Effective leadership and meeting facilitation skills.
· Willingness and ability to travel up to 25% of the time.
· Deep commitment to LIRS’s core values and ability to model those values in relationships with colleagues and partners.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*