Org. Setting and Reporting
This post is located in UN Environment, Executive Office in Nairobi. Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Staff, the incumbent will be responsible for the following:
- Develop, implement and evaluate assigned programmes; monitor and analyze programme development and implementation; review relevant documents and reports; identify problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaise with relevant parties; ensure follow-up actions. Research, analyze and presents information gathered from diverse sources; coordinate policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies, etc.;
- Organize and prepare written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc. Provide substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc. Initiates and coordinates outreach and communication activities; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
- Plan and lead and/or participate in large, complex field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc. Coordinate activities related to budget funding (programme preparation and submissions, progress reports, etc.) and prepare related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, etc.);
- Assist the Executive Director, through liaison with internal and external partners on strategic political, policy and operational issues related to UN Environment. Lead and coordinate the development of cross-cutting strategic policy directives, position papers, statements and briefings in accordance with the organizations priorities.
- Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to particular sector, functional area or other specialized field. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to develop sources for data collection. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgement in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations;
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Advanced University Degree (Master's Degree or equivalent) in environment science, management, economics or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of seven years progressively responsible experience in project and programme management, environment related field or related area with at least three years at the international level. Experience working with high-level officials is desirable. Knowledge of UN Rules and Regulations an added advantage.
English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*