The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) is currently seeking a organized and enthusiastic undergraduate or graduate student with strong communication skills and demonstrated interest in elections and democratic transitions to assist NDI’s Elections and Political Processes Team. The Elections team is responsible for advising and assisting NDI’s regional teams in implementing election-related programs around building networks of election integrity organizations and advancing electoral integrity norms. The intern will primarily work with the Program Officer of the Election and Political Processes team in our Washington, DC office. The anticipated start date for this position is January 2018.
The intern will gain an enhanced understanding of how elections present challenges and opportunities for promoting peaceful and open political competition, and how citizens can better oversee and participate in governmental affairs. In addition, the intern will be encouraged to attend relevant lectures, discussion sessions and other events around Washington, D.C., and will have the opportunity to meet NDI staff working on areas that may be of particular interest.
This is a paid internship. All applicants must have the right to work in the U.S without employer sponsorship.
- Track political and electoral developments in specific countries
- Coordinate online outreach and communications for the elections team and a global network of civil society activists
- Assist with elections content updates on websites
- Assist in editing and managing Elections team social media accounts
- Update and maintain resource materials
- Assist in the organization of travel, meetings and special events
- Conduct research projects on specific election-related issues
- Attend and report on meetings, briefings and events
- Assist with administrative tasks such as scanning, photocopying and filing
- Respond to requests for information on election-related issues and NDI’s election programs
- Update and maintain databases of NDI election programs and consultants
- Current undergraduate or graduate student in international affairs, political science or a related field
- Demonstrated interest in international issues related to democratic transitions and the role of elections in promoting democratic reform
- Experience with event planning and managing logistics strongly desirable
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Fluency in oral and written English; additional language skills desirable, particularly French, Spanish, Arabic or Russian
- Experience with social media platforms, including Facebook and Twitter, strongly preferred
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to work independently and with others in a fast-paced office
- Weekday availability of 20-40 hours per week
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*