Amnesty International (AI) is a Nobel Peace Prize-winning human rights movement of more than 7 million supporters, activists and volunteers in more than 150 countries campaigning for human rights worldwide. The organization investigates and exposes abuses, educates and mobilizes the public, and works to protect people wherever justice, freedom, truth and dignity are denied. We are independent of any government, political ideology, economic interest or religion, and are funded mainly by our membership and public donation.
We are seeking a dynamic, innovative, passionate and results-driven individual to join our campaigns unit in an intensive role. The Senior Campaigner will develop campaign strategies and lead campaign project teams responding to human rights violations.
The Senior Campaigner will work alongside other campaigners and across policy, communications, and field teams to deliver winnable campaigns with clearly defined objectives.
- Independently analyze political developments and breaking news, and develop campaign strategies that leverage AIUSA’s membership and field presence; research and reports; high-level political advocacy; media, and digital resources; and global credibility;
- Develop and work in collaboration to deliver fast-paced, high-profile, rapid response campaigns that leverage traditional media and digital tools to win real human rights impact while growing our grassroots membership;
- Develop plans to test innovative strategies and tactics;
- Foster and develop relationships with relevant national and local coalition partners with the aim of identifying opportunities to collaborate, leverage AIUSA’s resources, and amplifying campaigns with common goals and objectives;
- Develop high quality advocacy materials including online petition language, activist toolkits, public education materials and other written material as needed;
- Conduct advocacy with Congress and the administration to achieve campaign goals;
- Serve as a public and media spokesperson on Amnesty International’s work on refugees;
- Work collaboratively with Amnesty International members and volunteers in achieving campaign goals;
- Plan and implement strategies on other projects in the Campaigns Unit as assigned by the Senior Director of Campaigns;
- Use data driven strategies to assess campaign performance and share results with relevant stakeholder. Independently ensure the implementation of projects and campaigns through communication with the Senior Director;
- May supervise interns and/or staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- JD, MA or other advanced degree in human rights or a related field preferred; BA required
- At least 5 years of experience planning and winning strategic campaigns on human rights or social justice issues; experience with refugee and/or migrants' rights strongly preferred
- Demonstrated success in leading the development of short- and long-term campaigns on major domestic or global issues
- Demonstrated success as a lead strategist in determining ways to leverage grassroots membership, research, high-level political advocacy, media and digital resources to win campaigns
- Demonstrated understanding of digital tools including email, SMS, social media, and data analytics to achieve campaign victories and bring in new members.
- Experience working in coalitions, leading/working with organizers and activists, and working in diverse communities required
- Experience building coalitions, leading/working with organizers and activists, and working with diverse communities
- Experience working cross-departmentally with Communications, Government Relations and Field Organizing staff
- Experience as a spokesperson with media and the public
- Demonstrated knowledge of U.S. immigration law and human rights law a plus
- Strong track record working with advocacy-oriented research and analysis
- Experience working with membership-based organizations
- Demonstrated commitment to human rights and social justice
- Exceptional ability to think on your feet, making tough decisions quickly and effectively in response to new events and developments
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to thrive under pressure
- Ability to work independently and take the initiative in identifying new campaign opportunities
- Exceptional ability to lead teams, including strong project management skills
- Ability to identify opportunities for innovation and to test new models
- Ability and willingness for periodic travel including with limited advance notice
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, Spanish or other languages a plus
- Diplomatic skills to obtain trust, cooperation, and understanding in order to resolve routine problems.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability leading, coordinating and/or working with high-level team of advisors/staff/volunteer
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*