COORDINATES WITH: Institutional Support team; other Resource Development teams; Campaign, Finance, MEL, Communications, & Program staff; Private Sector Department; Executive Office; and Oxfam affiliates and country teams.
PURPOSE OF POSITION: To obtain increased funding support from institutional donors including foundations and bi-lateral/multi-lateral agencies, principally through cultivating relationships and writing grant proposals and reports that align the interests of Oxfam and institutional donors.
- Operating in collaboration with program staff and other members of the Institutional Support team, proactively engage donors in increasingly positive relationships throughout the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship stages of the fundraising process.
- Prepare, write, and edit compelling donor-related materials (concept notes, grant proposals, grant budgets, letters, reports, and briefings) as needed to support fundraising strategies.
- Research foundation and bi-lateral/multi-lateral donors to build prospect pipelines; share information as applicable with Institutional Support Department, program, and country/affiliate colleagues.
- Understand donor strategies, and interests. Develop donor cultivation plans and influencing strategies (as applicable) and work with relevant Oxfam program/policy and executive staff to implement those plans/strategies.
- Remain current on trends in foundation and bi-lateral/multi-lateral donor giving; help to incorporate knowledge into strategic fundraising planning for Oxfam.
- Work collaboratively with program/policy staff, and others, to help make Oxfam’s work more marketable to institutional funders.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of assigned thematic work areas, and as needed, act as a resource to the fundraising and communications staff regarding this program knowledge.
- Proactively engage with Oxfam country/affiliate teams from around the world to learn about their work; share knowledge with colleagues as applicable.
- Manage necessary relationships with program/policy staff, finance department, support functions, and other Oxfam affiliate/country staff to ensure donor requirements are understood, manageable, and met.
- Maintain timely records of donor engagement activities in Oxfam’s CRM system (Salesforce)
- Undertake donor-related travel (domestic and international) as appropriate.
- Perform other reasonably related duties as required.
EXPECTATIONS FOR THE POSITION:
- Stay abreast of professional standards, trends, and issues affecting this set of responsibilities, demonstrating continuous learning of the field.
- Work effectively and collaboratively in support of building a team-based culture of work; perform all duties appropriately for a multi-cultural environment, treating all persons with dignity and respect; be familiar with and committed to Oxfam’s mission and goal .
- Serve as a professional and conscientious representative of Oxfam, maintaining confidentiality of appropriate information
- Have an understanding of gender equity and diversity within key areas of responsibility and a commitment to promoting gender equity in our workplace and programs
- Ability to undertake approximately 20 days of job-related national and international travel each year.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Education:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a field related to writing, communications, political science or international relations, or equivalent combination of education, experience, and training.
Experience and Core Competencies:
- 3-5 years related experience, with 1-2 years in successful proposal writing to secure grant funding from US foundations. Preferable, experience also in securing funding from bi-lateral/multi-lateral donors.
- Superior writing, oral communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to cultivate positive relationships with donors, staff, board members and volunteers. Excellent listening and motivational skills.
- Strong time management, organizational, planning and administrative skills, including comfort with various information systems, and fluency with word processing and spreadsheet applications on MS Office and databases.
- Knowledge of fundraising principles and practices relative to foundations and bi-lateral/multi-lateral donors.
- Knowledge of budget construction and interpretation.
- Ability to communicate in French or Spanish.
- Experience with Client Relationship Management (CRM) systems; preferably Salesforce.
- Experience in an issue-oriented non-profit organization or in an international development organization.
- Experience with complex government proposal development processes (ex: DFID, EU, Norad, UN agencies).
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*