Washington, DC or Seattle, WA
The Strategic Communications team contributes to achieving MNM’s ambitious goal by:
- elevating the malaria narrative in key markets – U.S., India, target African countries – to engage and educate political leaders, influencers and an upcoming generation of leaders;
- activating champion voices to energize the malaria fight and reinforce political leadership; and,
- expanding partner capacity, engagement and effectiveness.
Malaria No More’s Global Communications Director will play a lead role in raising awareness and creating a sense of urgency and momentum to encourage and reinforce policy maker commitments to ending malaria within a generation. They also will be responsible for aligning global partners to create a clear, consistent and positive narrative for malaria and, increasing partner capacity, engagement and effectiveness. Their work will support strategic outreach to donor and malaria-affected government, NGO and private sector audiences.
The Global Communications Director also will contribute to the Strategic Communications team’s efforts to:
- Align the malaria narrative with the issues most relevant to a broad set of target audiences
- Implement a proactive global media outreach strategy, with focus in the U.S., India, Kenya and Cameroon
- Support MNM’s efforts to ensure the organization is resourced to engage in the full scope of its ambitious
- Communicate MNM’s unique role and value proposition
In this capacity, the Global Communications Director will work in partnership with other Strategic Communications team members and consultants to support MNM’s mission of delivering financing and political will to advance global commitment to eradicate malaria within a generation. This includes working with MNM’s Advocacy and Development teams and a prioritized set of MNM’s external partners.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop compelling messaging that reflects the perspectives of target audiences in key markets, and that those messages are consistently communicated to MNM audiences.
- Develop and implement a long-term proactive media outreach strategy that will result in a steady drumbeat of malaria coverage in the U.S. leading up to and through 2020.
- Provide guidance to and/or oversee the implementation of strategic communications plans for key MNM markets and partners, including the African Leaders Malaria Alliance.
- Interface with MNM program staff and key partners to identify, develop and communicate compelling stories and regularly innovate and implement ideas– MNM-only or in partnership with the malaria and global health community – to drive media coverage and support MNM development efforts .
- Create and implement a strategic plan to identify, cultivate and activate a group of malaria champions representing different areas of expertise and backgrounds (e.g., celebrities, politicians, civil society activists, scientists) to proactively engage on malaria-issues in the U.S. and globally.
- Be the lead writer for blogs, press releases, op-eds, media statements and other materials
- Develop relationships and regularly interface with media covering malaria and global health issues, as well as technology, innovation, policy, etc.
- 12+ years of global health and/or development communications experience required with extensive experience in strategy development and execution
- Exceptional ability to think strategically, collaborate across teams, and use limited resources to maximum effect
- Proven ability to develop and drive measurable communications strategies in U.S. and global markets; experience working with Indian and/or African media is a plus
- Exceptional writing and editing skills
- Proven relationship building and influencing skills with internal and external stakeholders to advance communications and organizational goals
- Strong understanding of media landscape and communications trends and tools and desire to learn, innovate and evolve approaches as new opportunities arise and the media and policy landscapes change
- Crisis communications experience preferred
- Proven ability taking initiative, prioritizing and completing projects in a timely manner, while proactively anticipating and identifying solutions to obstacles and reporting updates
- Strong orientation toward impact with demonstrated examples of successful outcomes from previous roles
- Experience effectively managing PR agencies and contractors to achieve ambitious goals within budget
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an energetic, creative and resourceful thinker
- Sense of humor
- Ability to work efficiently under tight timeframes, manage multiple projects at once and to shift gears to strategically take advantage of new
- Passion for social impact and enthusiasm for Malaria No More’s mission to end one of the world’s oldest and deadliest diseases within a generation
Please email the following materials to [email protected] with the subject line "Global Communications Director – Full Name":
1. A concise cover letter explaining why you would like to be considered
2. Your CV
No telephone calls please.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*