Americans for Democracy & Human Rights in Bahrain (ADHRB) is a non-profit organization that seeks to foster awareness of and support for democracy and human rights in Bahrain and the Arabian Gulf by advocating for the rights of the Bahraini people to key actors within the US government, the international community, and the general public.
ADHRB seeks a dynamic and experienced US Government Relations Officer ready able to plan and execute advocacy strategies in Congress and with the Administration in support of human rights in the Arabian Gulf. This position reports to the Director of Advocacy. This is not an entry-level job.
- Develop, coordinate, and execute legislative and advocacy strategies that advance support for democracy and human rights in Bahrain and the Gulf region
- Track and report on legislation in US Congress and on policy positions of the Executive branch
- Prepare talking points, written testimony, fact sheets, and other background materials for engagement with the US Congress and with the Executive branch
- Serve as primary point of contact for interactions with US Congress and Administration officials
- Assist with organizing delegations of regional activists and human rights defenders
- Attend relevant events in US Congress, other governmental bodies, and NGO roundtables to keep up with the latest policy developments and to represent ADHRB's interests
- Coordinate with ADHRB staff to monitor human rights abuses and other developments in the region, especially as they relate to ADHRB’s advocacy and government affairs outreach
- 1- 3 years of relevant experience working for a Congressional office or in a government affairs position is required
- BA required; MA or JD in international relations, international law, public policy, or related field preferred
- Working knowledge of Congressional legislative procedures, including the appropriations process
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to thrive in a collaborative working environment
- Ability to maintain strict deadlines and objectives, in a fast-paced environment
- Strong knowledge of the Gulf region preferred
- Strong knowledge of international human rights law, treaties, and mechanisms preferred
- Arabic language skills are a plus, but not required
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, brief writing sample (7 pages max), and contact information for 3 references. Please include in the subject line of the email “US Government Relations Officer application.” Applications for this position will be accepted through 15 December 2017.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*