Reports to: Head of the Brussels Office (line manager)
Conditions: Part-time employment (with the option to extend the hours) under contract of undetermined duration with additional benefits
Start date: January 2018
Over the past 80 years, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) has developed unparalleled expertise in responding to emergencies and helping uprooted communities to rebuild. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by conflict or disaster. The IRC is on the ground in more than 40 countries, providing emergency relief, relocating refugees and rebuilding lives in the wake of disaster. Through 29 cities across the United States, the IRC also helps refugees resettle and become self-sufficient.
IRC Belgium is part of the IRC global network, with headquarters in New York and London.
The IRC is committed to a culture of bold leadership, innovation in all aspects of our work, creative partnerships and, most crucially, accountability to those we serve. The IRC is a tireless advocate for the most vulnerable.
IRC Belgium was established in 2001 to act as a resource on EU external aid policies for IRC offices worldwide, and to ensure that IRC’s advocacy and policy positions are heard with EU policy and decision makers.
- Assist the Head of Office to ensure that IRC Belgium is fulfilling financial, administrative and legal requirements;
- Manage the office, finances, HR and administrative matters.
- Reports to the Head of the Brussels Office;
- Reports to the Head of HR in London;
- Works closely with the IRC Finance and HR Departments in New York and in London.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Financial control and accounting:
- Keep the accounting system for tracking of expenses up-to-date;
- Collect and prepare invoices for payment, post in accounting system, and process in the bank system;
- Prepare monthly finance reports, including budget vs actuals;
- Liaise with bank and prepare bank reconciliations on a monthly basis;
- Prepare the annual budget and annual financial statements;
- Prepare the annual tax declaration;
- Ensure financial procedures for the IRC Belgium office are kept updated under the guidance of IRC Inc Finance for local payments, cash management and general accounting;
- Liaise closely with the external accountant company who conduct monthly, quarterly and annual verifications.
- HR administration and payroll:
- Implement and ensure compliance with IRC Global and Belgian HR policies and procedures for all Brussels-based staff;
- Keep IRC HR staff regulations and policies up to date and in line with legal requirements;
- Act as HR administration focal point for employees based in the office;
- Prepare employment contracts, orient new hires, facilitate exits and employee changes, liaise with relevant IRC offices as appropriate;
- Manage IRC Belgium payroll via the outsourced payroll firm and ensuring that staff are enrolled under all compulsory Belgium benefits, fiscal and social plans;
- Manage all contractual engagements relating to benefits;
- Ensure that Belgium employee files and data are accurate, including in Workday, IRC’s HR management system;
- Support staff recruitment.
- Communications/Advocacy support:
- Keep the Brussels/EU contacts database up to date, in collaboration with relevant colleagues;
- Support external communication with partners, donors and other relevant stakeholders, as well as communication projects and advocacy campaigns.
- Office management and administration:
- Assist the Head of office in ensuring the asbl/vzw complies with legal reporting requirements;
- Manage regular as well as ad hoc services provided by suppliers (office and equipment maintenance, supplies, professional printing, etc.) and keep all contract files updated; ensure procurement procedures are followed;
- Manage general office insurances and keep insurance files updated;
- Keep the office administration guidelines updated;
- Manage basic IT support functions of the office and work with IRC’s global IT support team to resolve any issues;
- Manage incoming mail, emails and any external requests, ensuring appropriate internal distribution and follow-up;
- Perform other duties as needed, such as organizing travel and accommodation, translating, proofreading, verifying references, summarizing, helping with presentational as well as administrative tasks.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience:
- Essential language requirement: Excellent spoken and written English, combined with fluent spoken and written French and Dutch;
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field;
- Command of accounting systems and advanced excel;
- Knowledge of bookkeeping, of payroll and of HR management in a Belgian context;
- Having had a first experience in financial management, with understanding of budgeting and control procedures;
- Good IT skills (Word, Outlook, Excel, Powerpoint) and basic understanding of IT management and office networks is an advantage;
- Excellent communication skills including active listening, as well as verbal and written skills in above languages;
- Proactive and able to work well independently as well as collaboratively as part of a diverse team:
- Ability to manage a varied workload;
- Self motivated, flexible and adaptable to the needs of the team and organisation.
- Committed to IRC values and mandate.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience:
- Familiar with international/NGO context;
- Command of Winbooks;
- Knowledge of Belgian rules and regulations on non profit management.
IRC strives to be an equal opportunities employer. IRC is committed to equality of opportunity and to non-discrimination for all job applicants and employees, and we seek to ensure we achieve diversity in our workforce regardless of gender, race, religious beliefs, nationality, ethnic/national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*