UN Women Background:
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Unit/ Project Background:
About the HeForShe Campaign
HeForShe is a solidarity movement for gender equality developed by UN Women to engage men and boys as advocates and agents of change for the achievement of gender equality and women’s rights. The campaign’s premise is that gender inequality is not only a women’s issue but a human rights issue, the resolution of which will benefit both women and men- socially, politically and economically. To learn more visit: www.heforshe.org
We are looking for a super creative and dynamic intern to work directly under the supervision of the HeForShe IMPACT 10x10x10 Program Manager, in support of special projects, ranging from managing high profile events to development of innovative fundraising strategies. Intern must have a can-do-attitude and be able to thrive in a fast-paced environment. This is a 6-month internship.
- Develop understanding of UN Women’s work and the UN system;
- Increase understanding of HeForShe campaign and its mission;
- Develop skills to deliver quality products and guidance on their use in an international environment;
- Build and develop professional relationships with UN Women colleagues in other units, and work as a team member in a multicultural setting;
- Develop event management skills;
- Increase outreach skills, data management skills.
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Stakeholder mapping and preparation of outreach materials;
- Preparation of briefing notes on strategic partners and potential donors;
- Support with celebrity outreach efforts;
- Assist with planning of HeForShe events nationally and globally;
- Manage databases of sponsors and supporters.
Core Values and Guiding Principles:
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Respect for diversity:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff;
- Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Held colleagues and team members accountable for planned goals and competency standards;
- Practiced giving and receiving constructive feedback.
- Proactively informed clients, preventing loss of time and errors;
- Responded to questions, resolved problems, and helped provide accurate information to clients;
- Identified, understood, and addressed client needs.
Commitment to Learning:
- Learned about agency, its processes, structure, challenges, and environment;
- Contributed to knowledge sharing.
- Produced communication products (written and oral);
- Interpreted key messages for and from clients with cultural sensitivity.
Planning and Organizing:
- Developed work plans;
- Implemented activities in a timely manner, met deadlines.
- Coordinated work and roles with other team members;
- Supported goals of the team;
- Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
- Excellent research, writing and organizational skills, attention to detail is critical;
- Ability to adapt and work within a multicultural, multilingual, multidisciplinary environment;
- Willingness to work in an “all hands on deck” environment, and engage in a variety of tasks;
- Knowledge of how students and universities are addressing global challenges, an asset;
- Self-driven, results-oriented with a positive outlook.
Required Skills and Experience
- The intern must have studies in law, human rights, international relations, politics, gender or other similar subject at the university level. Master’s or PhD degree preferred;
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English are required; Working knowledge of another UN language a distinct advantage.
Interns are not financially remunerated by UN Women.
- UN Women will only be able to respond to those applications in which there is further interest;
- Selected applicants must provide the internship application, two letters of recommendation, proof of health insurance and school enrollment, passport, and visa (if applicable).
In July 2010, the United nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
UN Women Internship Policy:
Applicants to the United Nations internship programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher)
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent)
- Have graduated with a university degree (as (b) above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within one year
- UN Women internship programme does not provide a salary or remuneration for the internship;
- All the expenses connected with the internship will be borne by the intern, sponsoring Government or institution;
- UN Women accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship;
- The intern is responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed;
- The intern must provide proof of enrollment in a health insurance plan, proof of school enrollment, a scanned copy of his/her passport, two letters of recommendation, and application.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org