We are looking for Senior Writer/Producer to join our Current Time TV Channel team. You will create Russian language television news reports for the Current Time TV Channel and you will be responsible for gathering and approving video, text and other elements for broadcast and for upcoming video reports. You will also create Russian language television news reports; and work closely with Current Time’s digital team and other relevant RFE/RL departments to create and deliver news content that is on time, relevant to the RFE/RL mission, and conforming to RFE/RL’s Professional Code. Together with the Executive Editor for News, the Managing Editor and Executive Producers, you will initiate and develop daily in-depth top story reports. You must be also able to serve as a coordinating producer on special projects as requested by the Managing Editor, Executive Editor for News and Channel Director.
• Analyzes daily news events, brings their importance to the viewer’s attention by creating and supervising the creation of live and taped news content, visual elements and graphics. Directs content creation for air in consultation with the Executive Producer. Works with the TV team to review and approve video reports, tease upcoming stories, and plan news coverage.
• Understands concepts of live production, live streaming, post-production editing, sound mixing, incorporation of computer-generated graphics and special effects. Approves final edits.
• Writes/reads/edits and approves news copy, packages, voice overs, sots, intros, scripts before they head into production to ensure accuracy and continuity. Coordinates with producers from RFE/RL language services to obtain video files, transcripts, and translations.
• Supports and provides editorial content to the Current Time production team, including live and packaged news reports, interviews and research, helping the Current Time team to put the top story of the day into context.
• Shares Current Time content with RFE/RL’s Russian Satellite Stream, Multimedia department, other RFE/RL language services, and other BBG entities as needed.
• Checks for facts, style, and thoroughness of reporting. Ensures editorial quality, visual accuracy, and factual script accuracy before the finished piece goes on air.
• Understands and applies RFE/RL’s code of journalistic conduct and editorial guidelines.
• Appears on camera, in the field or a studio setting as part of the reporting production.
• Edits raw video if required, and makes sure all elements in the rundown are ready for air. Works with video editors on projects, keeps track of production progress on program elements. Advises video editors on best editing practices.
• Provides editorial and technical guidance to RFE/RL studio & field video producers for live and taped production. Provides feedback and coaching to video journalists in an effort to improve the quality of reporting. Works with technical staff and Executive Producers to ensure problems do not become chronic.
• Looks far ahead on the calendar for coverage opportunities. Presents coverage possibilities to Executive Producers, Managing Editor and Executive Editor for News. Contributes ideas for discussion at the daily editorial meeting and the weekly look-ahead meeting.
• In addition to working a regular shift, Senior Writer/Producer may be expected to be available for breaking news coverage in the studio or in the newsroom, as well as on outside location if sent to the field for news coverage.
• University degree in journalism or the equivalent in experience is strongly preferred
• 5+ years of experience working in a 24/7 news gathering operation.
• Previous experience working in a multicultural or a multinational environment; or experience living and working abroad, preferably in relevant RFE/RL target regions.
• Extensive writing, reporting, editing, and coordination experience in video news production.
• Excellent news judgment and analytical skills. Must be a top-notch editor.
• Strong reporting and video packaging production skills.
• Broad knowledge of television/video industry production standards.
• Ability to present on camera.
• Communicates clearly and effectively. Can work with reporters in the field to help shape their reporting and provide appropriate context. Capable of maintaining a network of source contacts.
• Proactive, can-do attitude, with excellent interpersonal skills-- a team player with ability to work effectively with individuals within and across teams. Can accept occasional leadership roles on special projects.
• Willingness to travel for work-related events.
• Broad, thorough and detailed knowledge of political, economic, and social situations in the broadcast area as well as international affairs acquired through studies, research, writing, travel, or other relevant experience or exposure.
• Good organizational skills to plan for news coverage and meet all deadlines and work under pressure.
Should you be interested in this position please apply by sending your CV and a cover letter in English to [email protected] , including in the subject line the vacancy number CT1359--701
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org