The International Trade Senior Legal Assistant will work as a member of the practice’s Legal Support team to manage cases and documents, cite-check and file court and agency documents, perform factual and legal research, and maintain documents and databases.
- Works with attorneys and other practice Legal Support staff on client-billable projects including, but not limited to, organization and management of case documents, both written and electronic; maintaining case calendars; research; cite-checking and/or filing of legal briefs and memoranda; identification and compilation of complex exhibit sets and preparation of forms and applications
- Maintains current knowledge of cite-checking and filing requirements at Department of Commerce, International Trade Commission, Court of International Trade, and Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Serve as a primary point of contact for large and complex filings within the practice
- Able to locate and interpret rules and regulations at above-mentioned courts and agencies in order to maintain case filing schedules and calendars
- Diligently adheres to administrative protective order (APO) requirements, ensures proper redactions of business proprietary information (BPI), and follows internal protocols for safe handling of documents
- At attorneys’ direction, acts as a liaison between attorneys and clients and/or agency and court representatives by means of written and oral communications
- Develop familiarity with administrative record and other factual documents in order to support case teams
- Works effectively with a team of attorney and staff personnel to further client goals
- Assists with documentation of practice procedures and the development of practice training materials
- Works with attorneys and Practice Manager to identify opportunities and methods to increase quality and efficiency of work product.
- Trains and oversees Project Assistants and other staff in procedures and practices for document preparation and submission, general practice area support, and related projects
- Meets the Firm’s minimum hours expectations of 1500 client-chargeable hours and 1700 total billable hours annually
- Other duties as may be assigned by attorneys, Practice Manager, and/or the Director of Legal & Practice Support
- Four-year college degree required; major and/or advanced studies in International Relations, International Studies, Economics, or Business preferred
- Prior paralegal experienced required. Experience with antidumping/countervailing duty proceedings strongly preferred.
- Proficient in cite-checking on documents submitted to the Department of Commerce, the International Trade Commission, and the Court of International Trade; exposure to documents submitted to the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit preferred
- Familiarity with administrative protective order (APO) regulations and filing procedures related to the One-Day Lag Rule
- Extensive experience with locating, interpreting, and applying court and/or agency rules
- Very strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Demonstration of consistent growth in substantive professional skills and knowledge of International Trade issues and law, OFAC regulations, and relevant current events
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely with all levels of Firm personnel, clients, and outside vendors, both orally and in writing
- Demonstrated competence in performing both legal and factual research and analysis under the supervision of attorneys (e.g., Westlaw research and document retrieval, open-source web searches, factual research at government agencies and courts, investigative fact-gathering)
- Proficiency with office productivity applications (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Adobe Acrobat); aptitude for learning new software strongly preferred
- Ability to digest and prepare concise written summaries of administrative and case-related materials
- Ability to draft basic motions and proposed orders at the direction of attorneys
- Ability to supervise, train, and delegate to junior personnel
*This description outlines the basic requirements of this position. It is not intended to be a complete description of other requirements which include adherence to Firm policies and procedures as well as Department performance standards.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org