Type of employment: Fixed-term contract (CDD) under French Law, eighteen months, starting in March 2018
The International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH) is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Program Officer, covering West and South Asia (Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, and Bangladesh).
FIDH is an international human rights organization, bringing together 184 member organizations from more than 100 countries and territories. FIDH’s mandate is to contribute to the respect of all the rights defined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. FIDH aims at obtaining effective improvements in the protection of victims, the prevention of human rights violations and the sanction of their perpetrators.
FIDH has six priority areas: Protect Human Rights Defenders; Promote and Protect Women’s Rights and Migrants' Rights; Promote the Administration of Justice and the Fight against Impunity; Strengthen respect for Human Rights in the Context of Globalization; and Support
the Respect for Human Rights and the Rule of Law in Conflict and Emergency Situations.
The program officer will work under the responsibility of the Director of Operations and under the supervision of the Head of Asia Desk (who is based in Bangkok, Thailand).
- Draft reports, press releases, open letters, briefing notes, op-eds and ensure that they are approved by board members and local partners.
- Organize fact-finding, judicial observation missions, seminars, and trainings.
- Organize advocacy activities within IGO and visits of human rights defenders to and from the region.
- Participate in fact-finding missions in the field and activities within IGO and represent occasionally FIDH in meetings with government representatives, media, and donors.
- Participate in meetings with local, regional, and international partners.
- Liaise and coordinate with other regional and thematic desks at the FIDH International Secretariat, as well as the press, web, and communication department.
- Liaise and coordinate with FIDH’s delegations in Geneva, Brussels, New York, and The Hague.
- Liaise with FIDH member and partner organizations for West and South Asia, with FIDH Board Members in charge of the region or in charge of thematic issues, as well as with other relevant organizations at national, regional and international levels to ensure synergy and complementarity.
- Contribute to the elaboration of the annual work plan for West and South Asia and propose changes when needed.
- Contribute to the formulation of funding applications for activities related to West and South Asia.
- Contribute to the design and implement communication activities, in consultation with the press, web and communication departments;
- Contribute to monitor, assess and report on activities carried out.
- Communicate on results achieved.
- Carry out administrative tasks as needed (hiring and training of interns, hiring and management of consultants, maintaining a database of contacts, printing & dissemination of materials, etc).
- Minimum of 3years work experience in the field of human rights (preferably for a national,
regional and/or international NGO).
- In-depth understanding of the human rights, political, social, and economic context in West
and South Asia.
- Familiarity with UN human rights standards and mechanisms.
Competence and skills
- A university degree in a relevant field, such as political science, international relations, or human rights law.
- Excellent writing skills and attention to details.
- Fluency in oral and written English; basic knowledge of French desirable.
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently, be rigorous, able to prioritize, and work under pressure and multiple deadlines.
Terms and conditions of employment
Gross monthly income: From EUR 2,400 per month (over 13 months), depending on experience.
Possibility of recruitment at a different level based on a different job profile.
Please apply by e-mail no later than 6 February 2018, submitting the following:
- A cover letter
- A full resume
- 2 references (please provide her/his full name, position, organization, current location, email, and phone number)
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org