Duties and Responsibilities
Lead strategic programme development and planning:
- Assess national social development trends and identify emerging issues of relevance to the mandate of UN Women to identify opportunities for development planning to advance UN Women goals and objectives in the country;
- Identify strategic programme opportunities, approaches and modalities to strengthen UN Women country presence and relevance, in close consultation/collaboration with national development stakeholders and partners;
- Oversee the appraisal and approval of UN Women programmes in line with corporate guidelines and consistency with corporate policies and strategies.
Manage and oversee the implementation of the country programme:
- Establish the Country Office annual work plans in collaboration and discussion with the team and set objectives, performance measurements, standards and expected results;
- Manage and ensure the completion of high quality, results-based and rights based country programmes and projects;
- Ensure regular programme monitoring and evaluate progress for timely action and intervention to achieve results;
- Lead and manage the country budget preparation and submission processes to ensure budget proposals are correctly presented and submitted in a timely manner;
- Lead and manage the preparation of UN Women mandated country reports and submit timely quarterly, annual and other periodic progress reports ensuring relevancy, quality and appropriateness of content and presentation;
- Plan and manage monitoring and evaluation of programmes and projects, and take appropriate action; manage the preparation of audits and implementation of its recommendations.
Manage finance and human resources in the Office:
- Monitor the utilization of allocated funds to ensure transparency and compliance with UN Women financial policies and accountability framework. Decide on the optimum and appropriate allocation and management of CO resources;
- Supervise and coach programme and operations staff in the country office and manage performance in line with applicable UN Women policies and guidelines;
- Plan deployment of the internal human and financial resources including, as necessary, recruitment and procurement of additional resources;
- Maintain and update country office security strategy, plan, and measures to ensure full compliance with UN ?security policies, procedures and requirements; Oversee security requirements for the team.
Represent UN Women in UN inter-agency coordination:
- Represent UN Women in the UNCT to contribute to the mainstreaming of UN Women’s policies in joint programming and initiatives, under the leadership of the UN Resident Coordinator;
- Participate actively as a member of the UN Country Team (UNCT) to ensure that gender equality and women's empowerment issues are fully integrated into implementation of the UN One Strategic Plan; and into UN programming processes such as Comprehensive Country Assessment (CCA)/ UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF), Country Programs, etc.;
- Actively seek out participation of UN Women in UN system thematic and other working groups to establish effective network and to keep abreast of ongoing debate and thinking on development, facilitate joint programming and promote UN Women competencies to advance gender equality and women's human rights.
Lead representation and advocacy with stakeholders:
- Represent UN Women in and substantively contribute to governmental forums and other key meetings and events to speak on policy issues, participate in policy dialogue, discuss policy initiatives, report on progress achieved and/or present policy papers/ideas to influence setting of agenda and/or advocate UN Women competencies and mandate;
- Participate in regional, country and other critical meetings and events to evaluate the impact and efficacy of UN Women policies and programmes and provide input in strategic discussions and provide technical advice on policies and programmes;
- Advocate on behalf of UN Women to help raise awareness and stimulate action to advance gender equality and women's rights; provide partners with relevant technical advice and capacity development related to gender equality and women’s empowerment to advance policy priorities;
- Oversee the development and implementation of relevant communications and advocacy strategies to ensure that UN support towards realization of the national plans and priorities are done in a gender responsive manner, and within agreed international frameworks that promote and protect gender equality.
Lead Strategic partnerships, resource mobilization and knowledge management initiatives:
- Develop and maintain active relationship and partnerships with the Government, NGOs, the UN system and development partners, institutes, academia, the media, and private sector on women's issues to enhance collaboration, resource mobilization and/or share ideas and to influence agenda and priority setting;
- Oversee the development of knowledge management strategies and methodologies; manage the process of identifying and synthesizing of best practices, innovations and lessons learned that are directly linked to the implementation of the programme and contribute to their global dissemination and supports further programmatic expansion.
Key Performance Indicators:
The post has an impact on the overall effectiveness and success of UN Women interventions and activities in Viet Nam, which impact in turn on the overall effectiveness of the UN Women programme in the region and globally. By helping ensure effective, planning, implementation, and monitoring of assigned sectorial/thematic areas, and building networks and helping mobilize resources for these areas, the incumbent enhances the organization’s capacity and credibility in implementation of highly effective programmes with strong impact.
- Country Programmes are implemented in line with Strategic Notes and Annual Work plans;
- All programme teams adhere to UN Women’s Rules, Regulations, policies and procedures, using a results-based management approach;
- Programmes are implemented effectively and efficiently;
- Regular monitoring of programmes;
- Evaluations conducted on time and in high quality;
- Timely and quality reporting; Regular dissemination and sharing of information; country office is sharing best practices/ lessons learned on programme management.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Excellent programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills;
- Ability to develop detailed operational plans, budgets, and deliver on them;
- Excellent knowledge of Results Based Management;
- Ability to synthesize program performance data and produce analytical reports to inform management and strategic decision-making;
- Excellent knowledge of gender equality and women's empowerment;
- Strong knowledge of country and/or region;
- Ability to lead formulation of strategies and their implementation;
- Ability to identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to fundraising.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences, human rights, gender/ women’s studies, international development, or a related field is required.
- At least 7 years of progressively responsible experience at the national and/or international level in design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development projects;
- Experience in establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments;
- Experience in the in the field of gender and human rights of women is an asset;
- Experience in administrative systems and UN system norms is an asset;
- Experience in country and/or region is an asset;
- Experience in leading a team is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset;
- Knowledge of local language is an asset.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org