The Special Assistant reports directly to the Regional Director (RD). S/he works with both the RD and the Deputy Regional Director (DRD) by providing operational, planning, managerial, technical and coordination support to all aspects of the work of the Regional Office. S/he will be supporting the RD in his/her additional roles such as Area Security Coordinator and other functions on behalf of corporate UNFPA or the regional UN system.
The Special Assistant will provide operational support to the Director acting as a key interface with all units within and outside the Regional Office by:
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
1. Prepares background papers/briefing documents for the Director; conducts research on organizational thematic areas and other topical issues for the Director and management; follows up on decisions related to UN reform, regionalization and other key initiatives; and fields queries related to these issues. Provides support to the RD in follow up on regional intergovernmental processes, environmental scanning and political developments in the region.
2. Backstops the Directorate, analyzes and appraises incoming documents; drafts statements, talking points and correspondence for the Director ensuring quality and relevance to subject and themes; coordinates preparation of the RO's inputs and follow-up.
3. Assists the Director and his/her colleagues in coordinating the sharing of relevant information within the Regional Office; provides support to the overall office management and attends meetings and monitors the implementation of tasks assigned by the Director.
4. Liaises between his/her Regional Office and other offices of UNFPA and the UN system, to obtain relevant information and provides feedback and advice to the Director; monitors and follows up all of the Regional Office's activities, as necessary.
5. Preparation and follow-up to Executive Committee, Humanitarian Steering Committee, Senior Management Group, Executive Board, briefings for ED and others, as well as other corporate processes and tasks such as Comprehensive Resources Review.
6. Acts as Secretariat to the Management Team
Knowledge and Experience:
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org