The Communications Associate, is a full-time, 12 month position with a possibility of extension. Under the supervision of the Senior Communications Officer, the Communications Associate is responsible for assisting in the development and execution of multi-faceted media and public outreach initiatives to increase the visibility and impact of Refugees International. The Communications Associate assists in the promotion of RI’s research, policy agenda, executives, advocates, and events. Principal responsibilities include supporting press outreach efforts, preparing documents for publication and for external distribution, maintaining media and other contact databases, supporting the development of marketing and fundraising materials, assisting in website and social media posting and management, and providing other administrative support as assigned.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Email Marketing and Database Management 40%
· Maintain and update RI’s contact database system.
· Draft and disseminates RI’s monthly newsletter.
· Research and recommend ways to expand RI’s sphere of media and policy contacts.
· Seek out and recommend best practices and new platforms for engaging RI’s contacts and new target audiences.
· Assist in the preparation of the monthly report to the Board.
Media Relations Support 25%
Maintain log of media and interview hits, prepare media reports, and track media outreach efforts.
Website and Social Media Support 25%
· Prepare Twitter toolkits for major report releases and promotional initiatives.
· Under supervision, draft and schedule posts to RI’s social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn).
· Coordinate and/or assist RI staff on social media language and strategies, with support the Senior Communications Officer and the Digital Communications Officer.
· Use knowledge of current events to connect the work of RI and its executives and advocates to timely and/or trending topics on social media.
· Assist with gathering and analyzing social media data.
· Assist with preparing and posting content to the RI website.
· Assist with gathering and analyzing website data.
General Communications and Event Support 10%
· Produce and disseminate weekly media clips report.
· Draft and edit online and printed content as needed.
· Assist in the preparation and execution of the annual Gala, New York Circle, and other development events.
· Assist in the development, drafting and design of the RI Annual Report.
Perform other duties as assigned by the Senior Communications Officer.
Special Education/Experience Requirements/preferred qualifications:
The successful applicant must have a bachelor’s degree (preferably in communications, public relations, international relations or a related field); experience with contact database management systems as well as social media platforms and associated social media tools, and strong writing and editing skills. The following qualifications are desirable: some professional communications experience, preferably with a public relations agency or a non-profit or humanitarian organization, experience in writing for publications and the web, experience in communicating information to news media and a broad general audience, including through digital and social communications.
Special Knowledge/Skills Requirements:
Deep interest in and commitment to the mission of Refugees International. Ability to foster creative ideas to help increase media coverage and create new opportunities for outreach and dissemination of research and general information related to refugee and human rights issues. Ability to understand and accurately summarize reporting and analysis of humanitarian issues; track and respond to trends in media coverage. Ability to write knowledgeably and comfortably about public policy issues. Strong multi-tasking skills and ability to meet tight deadlines. Strong organizational skills: high initiative, judgment, ability to multitask, attention to detail and ability to work in a fast-paced environment. Ability to strategize and think critically about long-term operations and goals. Assist in all aspects of event production, including possible travel and some lifting.
Please apply by close of business 16 February 2018 to [email protected] Use "Communications Associate” in the subject line and include a cover letter, CV or resume, and writing sample. Only finalists will be contacted. Salary commensurate with experience.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org