Impunity Watch (IW) is a non-profit human rights organisation which researches the root causes of impunity for serious crimes under international law, as well as the obstacles to its reduction. IW promotes that voices of affected individuals and communities are included in the design and implementation of policies to encourage truth, justice, reparations, and the non-recurrence of violence and abuse. We encourage local actors’ active involvement in transformations after violence, and we also support informal initiatives that complement formal transitional justice mechanisms.
We work in a broad range of countries, and we have offices in Burundi, Guatemala and The Netherlands. We are currently seeking a talented and creative professional with extensive experience in developing and implementing outreach and communication strategies for international non-profit organisations. To start as soon as possible.
The main tasks and responsibilities for this position include:
- Develop with IW’s team and possible external assistance the organisation’s global communication strategy and lead the implementation of this strategy to increase the visibility of IW’s messages and the impact of its programmes and advocacy efforts.
- Work with the different teams and partners to pro-actively identify timely opportunities to promote IW’s core messages both locally and globally.
- In close collaboration with staff, produce content that is relevant to IW’s work such as annual reports, op-eds, social media posts, interviews, reports, fact-sheets, or other written products that are readable, accessible, appealing to our various audiences and ensuring content is accurate and in line with our mission and values.
- Ensure that our website and social media pages are kept up to date in light of our new communication strategy and ensure that they are regularly and periodically updated with new content and information.
- Repackage our information and research findings targeting a variety of audiences and target groups.
- Oversee the copy-editing of IW’s (multilingual) written materials and publications.
- Provide strategic guidance on messaging and communications to staff and partners, including in activities like expert meetings, side events etc.
- Contribute to the overall work of the organisation as a team member with professionalism, integrity and commitment.
- Other tasks as requested by the Executive Director to support the development of its programing, exploration of new sources of funding for its work etc.
- A BSc/ MSc. degree in journalism, communications or a related field
- 5+ years’ experience working in communication and outreach preferably in the international non-profit sector or an intergovernmental organisation.
- Knowledge of transitional justice and human rights is preferred
- Demonstrated experience managing / coordinating institutional communication efforts including to support advocacy work and fundraising efforts
- Be able to use (new) technologies and means of communication to reach audiences and make people care and aware about the work of IW in the places where we work
- Extensive experience in writing, revising, and generating press releases, op-eds, web content, and publications for different outlets and audiences
- Highly developed editing skills
- Demonstrated record of achievement in implementing effective communication strategies
- Creative, innovative, pro-active and efficient
- Near-native level in English both in speaking and writing. Command of another language including Arabic, Dutch, French or Spanish highly desirable though not required
- Tech savvy and with strong experience with new digital media and website management
- Culturally-sensitive with the ability to adapt to a variety of contexts and political environments
- The ability to work independently and as part of a global and diverse team
Do you recognise yourself in this job announcement? Then please submit electronically to [email protected], in English, the following:
- Motivation letter
- Unedited English language writing sample (or link to such a sample)
- A list of two references with email addresses and daytime phone numbers
Kindly state "Application Communication Manager” in the subject header.
The closing date for this vacancy is 1 March 2018
For more information about Impunity Watch, please visit our website: www.impunitywatch.org
Questions can be addressed to [email protected] Work permit restrictions may apply.