Under the direction of the Senior Advisor, the Consultant for Strategic Advocacy is responsible for the development and implementation of an effective advocacy strategy taking into account the following key strategic partners: UN Agencies, UN Women National Committees, HeForShe Supporters, Public and Private Institutions including Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) and Student Supporters. The ideal candidate understands how more effective project and traffic management will help deliver more impactful, creative, stronger external relationships, and better service to internal audiences, which will advance the mission of HeForShe.
HeForShe is seeking someone who is organized to work effectively, sees order in (seeming) chaos and prioritize accordingly, relishes the opportunity to work with colleagues from around the world, and has excellent interpersonal skills. The candidate should thrive in a fast-paced environment, work well in team settings and have strong prioritization skills.
Duties and Responsibilities
Refine and validate the programme strategy and approach for Strategic Advocacy:
- Refine existing strategy and programmatic approach for advocacy taking a holistic view across the initiative, and setting out clear goals, timelines and deliverables for the programme that are aligned with the broader HeForShe initiative (including meeting cadence, team leadership, secretariat structure, and outputs);
- Prepare programme documents including business cases/strategies, briefing notes, programme plans and risk assessments as well as progress reports on projects under the Consultant's purview.
Manage the implementation of Strategic Partnerships for HeForShe:
- Develop strategic partnerships and an engagement framework with key internal and external stakeholders including UN Women country offices, UN Agencies, UN Women National Committees, Public and Private Institutions including Civil Society Organizations (CSOs);
- Coordinate communications and information flow to stakeholders;
- Manage partnerships, including operationalizing partnerships to advance and develop collaborative programmes;
- Represent UN Women at conferences, seminars and meetings on issues related to the work of the HeForShe Initiative;
- Ensure that HeForShe is effectively mainstreamed across UN Agencies; supporting the mobilization of one billion men and boys as advocates for gender equality;
- Ensure that project management and operational policies, processes and methods are followed and practiced according to the organization’s standards.
Manage the Youth Engagement Strategy for HeForShe:
- Design, develop and implement an innovative HeForShe youth strategy and University championship programme to enhance the participation of students across more than 250 HeForShe Student Associations globally;
- Develop training, communication and advocacy materials for student supporters;
- Maintain expert, up-to-date strategic knowledge of issues and movements in the youth activism ‘landscape’, share information for purposes of planning and direction-setting for HeForShe;
- Build links and form effective relationships with key allies in youth movements around the world to ensure that HeForShe work learns from and reflects the energy/dynamism of these movements.
Provide technical support to fundraising for youth engagement/individual giving and HeForShe, in collaboration with UN Women’s Resource Mobilization Unit:
- Provide technical support and coordination to HeForShe Communications;
- Develop communications plans to reach HeForShe advocacy goals, in close collaboration with the Communications Specialist, including working across teams to manage rapid response strategic communications at key initiative moments;
- Provide technical inputs to long-term communications plans for the initiative and partnership work;
- Contribute inputs to the development of key HeForShe publications including the annual report and contribute content for HeForShe social media channels;
- Identify innovative solutions to UN Women’s broader fund-raising requirements where synergies exist between the mandate of the organization and the goals of IMPACT champions.
Provide guidance and support to IMPACT 10x10x10, Thematic Champions and other key partners:
- Provide support to IMPACT 10x10x10 and Thematic Champions as well as other key partners in delivering upon their commitment to mobilise all of their personnel behind the mission of HeForShe.
Manage the people and finances of the Strategic Advocacy programme:
- Prepare regular expenditure reports and forecasts for the Senior Advisor’s review, in collaboration with the Operations team;
- Manage programme personnel (interns/consultants) and help develop the skills and competencies needed to ensure optimum performance;
- Foster a positive work environment, respectful of both men and women, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed.
Facilitate knowledge building:
- Share lessons learned and best practices with colleagues, ensure dissemination of information within the team an in the organization;
- Provide other support to the supervisor as requested.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Quality partnerships which further the HeForShe movement;
- HeForShe.org commitment number;
- Representation of HeForShe throughout the UN system;
- Number of student supporters and associations;
- Quality communication and advocacy materials;
- Increase in funds raised;
- Quality events which further the HeForShe movement;
- Timely and quality execution of the programme implementation;
- Timely support and guidance to IMPACT champions and regular network and communication initiatives;
- Timely submission of accurate and quality reports.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Еffective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Strong communication and public speaking skills;
- Strong problem solving skills;
- Strong networking skills;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Ability to be self-motivated, with a strong entrepreneurial spirit;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks effectively;
- Ability to manage a team;
- Ability to command trust and authority from external and internal stakeholders;
- Good knowledge or appetite to learn about the UN system;
- Knowledge of women’s empowerment and gender equality issues;
- Ability to design, manage, monitor and evaluate programmes/projects;
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment is crucial.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in International Relations, Communication, Marketing or other related field is required.
- Must have at least 5 years of work experience conceptualizing, building and playing a leadership role in transformative organizing campaigns/movements;
- Experience (or the equivalent management expertise) as a supervisor, and have experience managing diverse teams in a campaign oriented, advocacy environment;
- Demonstrable, proven results of short and long term impact of campaigns;
- Proven track record in raising the visibility and influence of an organization through effective communications strategies.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org