Under the overall guidance of the Resident Representative (RR), the Deputy Resident Representative (DRR) and the Assistant Resident Representative (ARR) and direct supervision of the Crisis Prevention & Recovery (CPR) Team Leader, the Project Manager oversees the Joint EU-UNDP Programme for Rural Development - Phase II (ENPARD III Abkhazia Component) in the geographic area of responsibility.
The Project Manager leads and supervises the project team. He/she ensures a client-oriented approach and consistency with UNDP rules and regulations in conformity with the UNDP Internal Control Framework and good management practice. The Project Manager advises the country office senior management on development and implementation of the project, cost effectiveness and responses to emerging complex challenges in managing the project.
In coordination with CPR Team Leader, the incumbent will work closely with internal and external counterparts, including local stakeholders, civil society, private sector etc, to successfully deliver the UNDP project at the local level.
The ENPARD III Abkhazia Component aims to enhance the resilience of rural communities in Abkhazia through a bottom-up, integrated, gender-sensitive and environmentally sustainable approach to agriculture and rural development. The initiative will be complementary and build on the results obtained under the previous phase of intervention.
The overall objective of the initiative is to promote inclusive and sustainable growth, creating employment and livelihoods for the poor and excluded in Abkhazia. The objectives of the project are fully coherent with the three priority axes of the EU rural development policy.
The intervention aims to bring changes through 3 specific objectives:
- To strengthen Abkhazia-wide coordination platform on agriculture and rural development;
- To enhance competitiveness of agriculture and improve rural economic diversification;
- To improve environment and sustainable management of natural resources.
The intervention is being implemented by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in partnership with the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations (FAO), the Action Against Hunger (AAH) and the Danish Refugee Council (DRC).
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Strategic project planning, coordination, implementation and reporting;
- Management of the project team and resources;
- Management of communication flow;
- Partnership building and donor liaison.
Ensures strategic planning, coordination implementation and reporting of the project, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Analyses the socio-economic and political situation and trends in the area and identifies opportunities and entry points for UNDP;
- Provides guidance and manages the overall project development and implementation including planning, budgeting, implementation, monitoring and reporting;
- Maintains collaboration and coordination with grant beneficiaries under the project to ensure programmatic integration and sharing of best practices;
- Oversees project implementation through close monitoring of results; ensures effective application of RBM tools, management of scorecard targets and other benchmarks;
- Ensures timely and regular reporting on project implementation to the Country Office and/or through the Country Office;
- Provide respective inputs on project results to the Country Office for corporate and inter-agency reporting, for example ROAR, ASP reports, joint workplans, etc;
- Keeps track of the potential risks and designs/implements risk mitigation measures; identifies and documents project lessons learned;
- Coordinates and follows through on decentralized local evaluations;
- Ensures full compliance with audit requirements and timely follow-up to audit recommendations;
- Promotes identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned for organizational sharing and learning;
- In cooperation with the Horizons Programme Manager, ensures coordination of the project with other UNDP supported projects at the local level; in absence of the Programme Manager, or when required, replaces the Programme Manager in his/her coordination duties; identifies and develops new project opportunities.
Responsible for effective management of the project team and resources, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- In collaboration with CPR Team Leader, ensures smooth running of the project, builds an effective project team, promotes team work and an environment that is conducive to delivering effective results;
- Ensures full responsibility for the appropriate use and management of resources attributed to the project by tracking use of financial resources, ensuring the integrity of financial systems and consistent application of the Internal Control Framework and/or rules and regulations. Continually find ways to systematically identify and integrate efficiency gains and cost reductions in all operations of the project;
- Sets direction for the project staff including roles and responsibilities, accountability and reporting ensuring that the work of the team is conducted efficiently and that high-quality outputs are delivered on time;
- Guides and leads the project staff throughout the project implementation and monitoring, enhancing team work within the project; monitors project team performance, completing performance assessments;
- In collaboration with CPR Team Leader, builds capacity of the project staff by identifying capacity needs and establishing training/learning programs;
- Ensures the project manager role in ATLAs is duly implemented as per UNDP Internal Control Framework.
Promotes communication flow focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensures internal communication and coordination at project level and effective and proactive communication between relevant CO units (both programme and operations units) and the ENPARD III Abkhazia Component;
- Monitors the perception of UNDP at the local level and suggest media activities that positions UNDP more strategically and effectively as a neutral broker for local development; enhances local visibility for UNDP in development effectiveness;
- Ensures that local development results are effectively communicated in collaboration with Communication Office in the country office;
- Performs other relevant functions as required.
Fosters partnership building and donor liaison focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Contributes to the development of the UNDP Partnership and Resource Mobilization (PRM) strategy, including planning tools to implement the strategy;
- Identifies new partnerships and strengthens existing ones at the level through innovative approaches to partnership development;
- In collaboration with CPR Team Leader, encourages ways of increasing the project funding base such as engaging in resource mobilization efforts in consultation with local counterparts and following-up with donors on local opportunities.
- Innovation - Ability to make new and useful ideas work;
- Leadership - Ability to persuade others to follow;
- People Management - Ability to improve performance and satisfaction;
- Communication - Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform;
- Delivery - Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
- Results-based Management - Ability to manage programmes and projects with a strategy aimed at improved performance and demonstrable results;
- Internal Reporting and Accountability - Ability to create internal reporting and accountability processes and standards;
- Stakeholders management - Ability to manage multiple stakeholders and balance often contradictory expectations, building and maintaining relationships;
- Partnerships - Ability to engage with other agencies, donors, and other development stakeholders and forge productive working relationships;
- Risk Assessment - Knowledge of risk assessment methodologies and ability to determine degree of risk and apply to strategic and/or practical situation;
- Sustainable Development - Knowledge of sustainable development concepts, principles and issues and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations, covering the economic, social and environmental dimensions;
- Jobs and Livelihoods - Knowledge of Employment Creation, Income Generation, emergency employment and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations;
- Resource Mobilization - Ability to identify and organize programmes and projects to implement solutions and generate resources (definition is unclear and not well linked to the stated competency).
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in International Development, Agriculture and/or Rural Development, Social Sciences, Economics, Public Administration, Business Administration, or other relevant development areas.
- 5 years of relevant experience in development in a governmental, multilateral organization in a multi-cultural setting of which 3 years of senior-level management responsibilities of similar size and complexities and demonstrated experience related to local rural development, and/or community development, and/or related issue;
- Working in post conflict situations would be strong advantage.
- Fluency in English;
- working knowledge of Russian language to be considered as a strong asset.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org