Responsible to: Head of ECA programme
Key relationships: Europe and Central Asia Team, Finance Team, Projects Team and external partners based in Europe and Central Asia
Contract: Fixed Term Contract for 12 months, with possibility of renewal
Working hours: 3 days a week (22.5 hours a week)
Special conditions: Travel in the region might be required
To support ARTICLE 19’s Europe and Central Asia programme to effectively implement two European Union-funded projects promoting freedom of expression in Turkey.
Working closely with the Programme Officer, the Programme Assistant will provide administrative, logistical and research support to the team for the implementation of activities. Under supervision from the Finance Team, (s)he will play a particularly important role in financial administration, supporting the development of financial reports in line with donor requirements. (S)he will also support ongoing monitoring of developments related to freedom of expression in Turkey, to inform legal interventions, advocacy and communications in the country.
- Providing administrative and logistical support for the organisation and delivery of events and activities (including trainings, workshops, advocacy missions, trial monitoring) in Turkey, international human rights bodies, London or other European capitals;
- Drafting minutes and ensuring coordination and information exchange between partners;
- Monitoring project budgets and maintaining up-to-date records of project expenditure;
- Provide research support on Turkish legislation, political context and individual cases to inform legal interventions and analysis of laws;
- Assisting the implementing team and partners as necessary.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting:
- Maintaining regular contact with project partners on progress of project implementation and project expenditure;
- Maintaining financial records of project expenditure and ensuring all expenditure is logged with the finance department;
- Contributing to internal and external narrative reporting processes;
- Producing financial donor reports, with supervision from the finance team.
Communications and advocacy:
- Monitoring the situation with regard to freedom of expression in Turkey;
- Researching and drafting statements and letters for ongoing or ad hoc campaigns and advocacy;
- Supporting translation of publications, including by coordinating and reviewing professional translations;
- Supporting the development and implementation of strategic advocacy and campaigns.
- support to the Europe and Central Asia programme, as required.
Education and Experience:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent work experience with an NGO or charity;
- Experience of working in an office or administrative role;
- Experience compiling donor narrative and financial reports;
- Experience in compiling budgets and tracking, and maintaining records of, project expenditure.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English;
- Written and spoken fluency in Turkish. Candidates not speaking Turkish will not be considered;
- Confident using Excel for ensuring budgetary oversight;
- Highly organised, with an ability to work with numbers;
- Ability to conduct research to a specific brief, checking facts using a variety of sources, and with a keen eye for detail;
- Ability to multi-task, prioritise and complete activities under time pressure;
- Good interpersonal skills and experience working and communicating with colleagues and partners in different locations;
- Self-motivation and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must have the right to work in the UK;
- Willingness to travel;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural work environment and commitment to equal opportunities and non-discrimination;
- Strong interest in human rights, with experience working on human rights in the Eurasia region and Turkey particularly desirable;
- Knowledge of Turkish legal system desirable.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org