The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 27 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. Domestically, our 27 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency.
SCOPE OF INTERN WORK: The Refugee Client Services intern will be instrumental in helping newly arrived refugees, and other refugees who are facing significant barriers to connect to appropriate services in San Diego.
- Drive and accompany clients to appointments, such as the DMV, health check-ups, legal consults, schools (for children’s enrollment), etc
- Assist Resettlement Caseworkers with airport pickups for newly arriving refugee families
- Assist with setting up the apartments of families scheduled to arrive to San Diego, including shopping for a set list of items
- Take clients to banks or credit unions to open accounts
- Accompany clients on bus/metro trips to help them learn routes on the San Diego public transit system
1. Student will learn about service plans and the essential steps of setting up new refugee families for success in San Diego.
2. Student will learn about the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program and the resettlement process.
3. Student will learn more about the populations of refugees making San Diego their new home.
START DATE: June 2018
DURATION: 11 Weeks; 20 - 35 hours per week
- Must be currently enrolled in a Master’s program focused on Education, International Relations/Development, Social Work, or related field
- Excellent organization skills, strong communication and interpersonal skills, empathetic, and ability to effectively collaborate
- Ability to use basic functions of Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft Office programs
- 1+ years related work or volunteer experience with a non-profit strongly preferred
- A strong interest in working with a diverse, low-income population is required
- Proactive, motivated and flexible; able to remain calm and adapt within a fast-paced work environment
- Language skills a plus (Arabic, French, Somali, Farsi or Swahili)
- Valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle with current insurance and the ability to travel regularly in the area
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org