The British Embassy in Brussels is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for a full time Economic Attaché.
We are looking for a professional and motivated individual to join our busy Political, Economic and Public Diplomacy Team.
This is a challenging, varied and fast-moving job which requires a significant degree of independent working, contact-making and flexibility. As a key member of the Embassy team working on the UK’s exit from the EU and on UK-Belgian relations, the job-holder will need to deal confidently and fluently with a variety of economic issues including Brexit, EU and national-level regulations, Belgium’s role in the Eurozone, wage indexation, and regulation of financial services. An understanding of the relationship between Belgium’s economic and political objectives will be important. The job-holder will be expected to accompany the Ambassador to meetings with Belgian senior officials and Ministers, and to network confidently on his or her own.
Main responsibilities will include:
- Use your existing network and experience to help the Embassy reach out to a range of stakeholders across the Belgian system, in order to deliver UK bilateral and brexit objectives. Lobby regularly on key economic issues and report back as required;
- Provide regular high quality, analysis on key aspects of the Belgian economy and the relationship between Belgium and the United Kingdom. This will include analysis of the impact on the Belgian economy of: Brexit, Eurozone issues, global economic trends, multilateral and domestic economic governance measures; budgetary policy, competition policy, trade and investment policy, labour; market and social policy;
- Respond to fast moving priorities and ensure that the Ambassador, Embassy and London stakeholders are updated;
- Generate and deliver ideas for outreach and events to further UK and Belgian bilateral relations.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Knowledge of Belgian political and economic system;
- Degree, preferably in Economics, International Politics or International Relations;
- 2-3 years of previous experience of economic and domestic public policy analysis;
- Good interpersonal and influencing skills to be able to develop and maintain a network of key contacts (both in Belgium and the UK);
- Ability to work and deliver results under pressure;
- Demonstrated initiative, problem solving and judgement skills;
- Strong organisational skills;
- Excellent English, both spoken and the ability to draft clear written communications;
- Operational French or Dutch (reading and listening).
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Knowledge of the UK political and economic developments;
- Familiarity with EU processes and institutions, or willingness to learn.
Seeing the Big Picture, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace, Engaging Internationally
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org