Every employee of IRI is responsible for carrying out the Mission of IRI, and demonstrating the core values in their day to day operations.
The Fragility and Resiliency Specialist works within IRI’s Center for Global Impact and serves in a multi-faceted role as a technical expert who provides technical resources and support to IRI staff to analyze and develop political and governance solutions to preventing instability and conflict and building resiliency to democratic deficits and attacks on democracy. S/he is also involved in analyzing global trends within the international development community and democracy, rights and governance sector particularly as it relates to fragility and resiliency, and conducting research to contribute to program development and learning. S/he develops innovative, responsive program approaches and tools for the Institute, writes proposals, and implements related project activities. S/he consults with regional program teams based in Washington D.C. and in field offices.
`Primary Functions & Responsibilities
- Provide technical expertise and support to program staff and partners regarding on a range of democracy and governance issues, including political and governance solutions to preventing instability and conflict, building resiliency to democratic deficits and attacks on democracy, particularly with an emphasis on fragile states, conflict and post-conflict environments, and the impact of migration and refugees globally.
- Analyze global trends and develop ideas for political and governance solutions to these and related issues.
- Develop and cultivate strong contacts with key stakeholders in the DRG and international development/foreign policy/think tank community particularly on technical or global areas of IRI’s work
- Develop innovative, responsive program approaches and tools for the Institute on related topics
- Contribute to business development outreach and proposal development packages
- Implement projects and program components, ensuring that projects are completed in compliance with grant agreements
- Monitors and ensures proper tracking of budgets and program expenditures to ensure that IRI projects remain within budget allocations and leads regular team budget analysis discussions.
- Guides procurement and other tasks required for the successful implementation of the project(s) overseen
- Oversees and participates in all monitoring, evaluation and learning efforts for projects assigned
- Assists in monitoring work plans and workflows related to project implementation, and special projects.
- Proactively engage in outreach and branding opportunities to increase IRI as a thought leader in the community on related areas
- Publish and/or co-author Op-Ed, blogs, and other written articles to demonstrate IRI’s thought leadership and technical areas of expertise
- Maintains an understanding of funder and IRI policies and procedures related to grant and project implementation and compliance.
- Participates in cross functional teams and initiatives
- Travels as needed for program development, oversight, implementation, evaluation and learning
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in political science, public administration, international relations, conflict mitigation or related field.
- 3-5 years professional experience in the international development field, preferably on democracy and governance programs.
- Preferred experience with conflict prevention and resiliency particularly in fragile states and in assessing impact of migration and refugees on democratic stability.
- Demonstrated experience working with U.S. Government funded projects and familiarity with USG regulations and processes.
- Experience with program management, project implementation and budgetary oversight.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team to coordinate and lead the efforts of other professionals to effectively meet program goals.
- Demonstrated exceptional organizational and detail-oriented skills.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal, research, and written/oral communications skills
- Demonstrated exceptional ability to operate under strict deadlines and ability to easily shift priorities.
- Willingness and ability to travel to challenging environments, up to 20% of the time.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org