Within delegated authority, the Senior Programme Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Take the lead to develop, implement and evaluate assigned programmes/projects, etc.; directs subordinates in programme/project development, implementation, monitoring and assessment; directs review of relevant documents and reports; identify priorities, problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaise with relevant parties; identifies and initiates follow-up actions;
- Ensure implementation of gender mainstreaming guidelines by assessing the implications for men and women of any planned action, including legislation, policies or programmes, in all areas and at all levels;
- Direct research and programme evaluation and presents information gathered from diverse sources;
- Coordinate policy development; reviews the assessments of issues and trends, preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies, etc.;
- Undertake survey initiatives; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions;
- Supervise preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Direct substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.;
- Manage outreach activities; design and conduct training workshops, seminars, etc., makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
- Lead field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.;
- Coordinate activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and ensures preparation of related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.);
- Serve as an effective spokesperson and establishes collaboration and partnerships with key officials at all levels inside and outside the organization;
- Ensure effective utilization, supervision and development of staff; Guides, evaluates and mentors staff;
- May perform other duties as required.
- Professionalism: Ability to identify key strategic issues, opportunities and risks. Ability to generate and communicate broad and compelling organizational direction. Ability to communicate clearly links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals. Demonstrated ability to provide innovative technical leadership by performing and/or overseeing the planning, development, and management of operation. Demonstrated ability to negotiate and apply good judgment. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations;
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailor’s language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes; responsibility for delegated assignments; Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable;
- Leadership: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow: empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvements; does not accept the status quo; shows the courage to take unpopular stands;
- Managing Performance: Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority; makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member; Accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills; monitors progress against milestones and deadlines; regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff; encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative; actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff; appraises performance fairly.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in urban planning, engineering, architecture, business administration, management, economics or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration or related area is required. Experience in the international development in the Middle East or Maghreb region is desirable.
- English and French are the two working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in English (both Oral and written) is required. Working knowledge in French Language is an added advantage.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org