Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
The Director, Public Policy Latin America will work in collaboration with key internal and external stakeholders to design and implement strategies that enable Merck to meet its business and strategic goals in Latin America. The incumbent acts as a resource to the Policy, Communications and Population Health team (PCPH), regional leadership, and subsidiaries in developing and implementing policy strategies and building policy capabilities in a wide range of priorities. The main areas of focus include support for key company therapeutic areas, healthcare reform, intellectual property, trade-related issues, access to medicines, and regulatory harmonization. In addition, the role will advocate for policies and legislation affecting competitiveness, investment and innovation in the biopharmaceutical sector.
Primary activities include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with global, regional and local teams to develop and implement cross-functional strategies in support of the business priorities, including a focus on key therapeutic areas
- Interacts with key policy stakeholders who are active in the development of governmental policies at the regional level and in priority markets, including public health organizations and NGOs
- Provides support and guidance to MSD subsidiaries in the region, including the development of policy plans and stakeholder mapping and engagement
- Liaises with priority franchise teams for alignment in the development and implementation of regional and country policy plans
- Works in partnership with regional and country communications and other internal stakeholders to identify and develop advocacy messaging aligned with MSD’s global policy and advocacy priorities
- Collaborates with Washington, DC-based teams and organizations to provide input from markets and develop coordinated trade, policy and advocacy strategies for the region and take part in the execution of these strategies
- Implements advocacy plans to seize opportunities and minimize threats that may have a major impact on MSD's business in the region
- Proactively develops and provides alternative solutions and preferred approaches to policy challenges.
- Drives industry agenda through industry and business associations to help implement strategies and reach key objectives
- Facilitates information exchanges relevant to policy initiatives between regions/countries and other Merck groups (e.g. Corporate Responsibility, Regulatory, Legal, Market Access, Medical Affairs, Communications, Product teams, etc).
- Monitors policy and regulatory developments
- Conducts policy crisis management and proactive risk identification and mitigation
NOTE: This position will be based in Washington, DC
Travel for this position is estimated to be about 50%
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Minimum of a Bachelors' Degree in Political Science, International Relations, Public Policy, Public Health, Law, Communications or a related field.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Minimum of 5 years of experience addressing public policy issues, with a desired focus on pharmaceuticals, vaccines, healthcare or a related area.
- Experience with and expert knowledge of government and non-governmental organizations active on public policy issues required.
- Strong knowledge of healthcare public policy processes, including understanding the roles of various stakeholders.
- Deep knowledge of geopolitical and multilateral organizations dynamics.
- Demonstrated leadership ability to identify strategic priorities, bring together different internal stakeholders, and move an agenda forward to resolution and action.
- Ability to work collaboratively and inclusively is essential.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required.
- Fluency in English and Spanish.
- Strong business acumen.
- Cross-functional leadership skills and the ability to manage through influence.
- Experience working with and/or within the Latin America region is required.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Knowledge and experience working with Washington, DC based organizations is highly preferred.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to [email protected].
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org