The global programme, Inclusive and Equitable Local Development (IELD) is jointly implemented by United Nations Capital Development Fund (UNCDF), UN Women and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). The programme addresses structural impediments that prevent women from entering the labour market through local public and private investments, with a particular emphasis on unlocking domestic capital for women’s economic empowerment and entrepreneurship. The 5 year programme was piloted in three Least Developed Countries (LDCs) in 2017, which include Bangladesh, Tanzania and Uganda. The programme is planned to be expanded to additional countries in 2018.
IELD uses a unique three-agency partnership by utilizing each agency’s niche and comparative advantage in programming on gender equality and women’s empowerment. The programme supports governments and the private sector at the local level to design, plan, implement and sustain local public and private investments, with a special focus on promoting women’s equal and full participation in the local economy. Its multidimensional approach contributes to the achievement of at least 6 SDGs, specifically SDG 1 (no poverty), SDG 5 (gender equality), SDG 8 (decent work and economic growth), SDG 9 (industry, innovation and infrastructure), SDG 10 (reduced inequalities) and SDG 17 (partnerships for the goals).
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the IELD Programme Manager, the consultant Research Analyst (based in UNCDF) is responsible for providing technical assistance and research support for the global programme. Specifically, the Research Analyst is responsible for assisting in project design, developing technical tools, supporting country teams in drafting programme frameworks as well as leading on the development of knowledge tools, advocacy materials, and research that will significantly contribute to the effective implementation of the global programme.
Functions / Key Results Expected
1. Assist with new country project development and programme implementation
- Provide technical input to the country teams in identifying strategic priorities;
- Assist country teams to ensure quality control during the programme implementation process;
- Support country teams in developing high quality reporting and monitoring systems.
2. Provide technical input for developing gender-responsive technical tools:
- Monitoring, under the supervisions of the Programme Manager, and in collaboration with UNDP and UN Women, the progress of the gender-sensitive Local Economic Assessment tool (LEA) at the local level;
- Support designing country-specific gender-responsive interventions derived from the LEA with a particular focus on promoting women’s economic empowerment
- Support the selection and implementation process for the IELD Investment projects by using the WEE Index.
3. Knowledge Management:
- Consolidate lessons learned and best practices from the field;
- Support country teams in putting together knowledge products
- Contribute to new research on WEE financing
- Support partnership building with research institutions, UN agencies and other relevant organizations to undertake cutting age new research on WEE and local development financing.
4. Strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy:
- Support the Programme manager and LD Practice in the Development of partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society in the specific thematic area;
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the success of IELD global and country programme within specific areas of cooperation among the three partnering agencies: UNCDF, UNDP and UN Women. In particular, the key results have an impact on the design, operation and programming of activities, creation of strategic partnerships as well as reaching resource mobilization targets.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating local economic development and women’s economic empowerment.
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues;
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches.
- Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors;
- Develops a database of IELD project profiles. Identifies opportunities for project proposals for presentation to donors.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches;
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for local development and women’s economic empowerment;
- Identifies and takes advantage of opportunities for advocating for UNDP, UN Women, and UNCDF’s mandate.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication, communicating effectively with team members and partners;
- Technical knowledge to contribute to mainstreaming of gender equality and empowerment of women in the programmatic and policy work of UNCDF;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others.
Required Skills and Experience
Master’s Degree or equivalent in Economics, International Relations, Social Sciences or related field with a focus on gender equality and women’s economic empowerment.
- At least 3 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in research and development policy-related work
- Experience working on gender equality and women’s economic empowerment and poverty reduction,
- Experience working on local economic development financing is an asset.
- Hands-on experience in designing and monitoring development projects.
- Excellent writing skills in English
- Experience in drafting donor proposals, communication materials a must.
- Experience with UNDP procurement and recruitment policies is considered an advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages and handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency and excellent analytical writing skills in English.
- Second official UN language an asset.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org