Americans for a Free Syria (AFS) is looking for a talented, driven candidate who is committed to freedom and democracy in Syria. This position will provide opportunities to work with U.S.-based organizers and Syrian activists. The Government Relations Associate is based in our DC office and is responsible for supporting AFS legislative priorities. This position reports to the Government Relations Director.
- Assist the Government Relations Director in all outreach and communication with Congressional offices or committees including through meetings, briefings, and policy papers;
- Conduct research on developments in Congress for stakeholders, with particular attention paid to foreign policy and defense issues;
- Analyze trends or opportunities in Congress that could impact AFS goals;
- Support AFS team in maintaining and building relations with donors and other stakeholders;
- Manage website, contact lists, and social media accounts;
- Perform other duties as necessary.
Americans for a Free Syria (AFS) is an independent, nonpartisan 501(c)4 nonprofit organization that advocates freedom, human rights, rule of law, and secular democracy for the Syrian people. We seek to promote policies that will foster a peaceful resolution to the Syrian conflict. We further train American activists across the country and provide them the tools they need to be effective “citizen lobbyists” on behalf of the Syrian cause. Find out more about us at www.freesyria.org.
- 1-2 years Hill experience / fluency in the principles of the legislative and political process required;
- Bachelors or Masters degree emphasizing foreign policy, Middle East, U.S. policymaking, or congressional affairs preferred;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English required, Arabic skills a plus;
- Basic graphic design skills appreciated;
- The ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and to adapt quickly to changing situations;
- Compensation commensurate with experience.
Those interested in applying may send their cover letter, resume, and writing sample by applying below.