The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was established in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to help Europe foster the development of a low-carbon society and play an even stronger international leadership role to mitigate climate change. The foundation works through several sectoral, cross-cutting and regional initiatives and collaborates with a wide network of grantees and partners to advance progress towards this shared goal.
The ECF is seeking applications for an experienced and highly driven individual to take on the role of Senior Associate, International Climate Politics (ICP) Hub.
The role of Senior Associate is an exciting opportunity to work closely with the ECF, the ICP Director, as well as the ICP strategic partners, funders and grantees, to leverage and drive the delivery of increased ambition on international climate action by 2020. In particular, together with the ICP Director, strategic partners, funders and grantees, the Senior Associate will work to strengthen the existing international climate network of inside-game political influencers and advisers, to increase alignment around a co-designed political strategy across diverse stakeholders, and to proactively target key champions/allies to support the necessary momentum-building ahead of 2020.
The role will suit a candidate with experience in the international and/or national climate change politics/negotiations, strategy development and execution, coalition-building as well as project management experience. The selected candidate will work closely with and report to the ICP Director. The candidate will help to manage the International Climate Politics Hub team, and perform the range of tasks outlined in the duties and responsibilities section below.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Working with the ICP Director, strategic partners, funders and grantees, help to deploy and implement political strategies around key international moments and issues within the international climate change arena. This will include the following:
- Delivering a range of appropriate and effective tactical interventions to secure core political outcomes, focused on increasing climate ambition;
- Coordinate insights and intelligence gathered by national and campaign focal points, identifying the most effective use and coordinating with the ICP Secretariat;
- Targeting the delivery/distribution of briefings to ensure that they are deployed effectively to achieve maximum impact;
- Support the production of briefings and political analysis development, if needed.
- Manage and drive processes for animating and aligning key partners (ranging from NGOs to high level diplomatic leaders) to undertake political interventions ahead of and during key moments within the climate calendar. This will comprise:
- Developing and implementing an operational strategy and structure which facilitates effective animation and activation within both climate and non-climate constituencies;
- Collaborating with senior leads within ECF, key partners and grantees plus other philanthropies to ensure coordination, alignment and cohesiveness around key strategies, as well as implementation of such strategies;
- Proactively targeting existing and new key voices and high level political assets to support the necessary momentum-building for enhanced climate action over the period 2018-2020.
- Provide programme management, operational and financial leadership for the International Climate Politics Hub. This will include the following:
- Programme management, planning and implementation;
- Line management of 2-4 staff members within the International Climate Politics Hub;
- Budget, grants, contracts and invoice approval;
- Support fundraising process, funding proposal writing and funder reporting.
- Minimum 5 years of work experience in international climate policy, environmental communications or advocacy, and/or focus on convening and coalition building around issues of climate, economics, or political strategy;
- Advanced degree in business, politics, economics or law desirable;
- Broad government, NGO, business and/or philanthropic networks within the international climate politics arena;
- Proactive, entrepreneurial spirit, with a proven ability to work well under pressure, take initiative and be a creative problem solver;
- Ability to work in networks and coordinate amongst a wide variety of stakeholders;
- Strong operational management skills, specifically experience in staff, programme and budget management;
- Excellent written and verbal communication, with the ability to crystallise complex issues into effective and readable strategy documents;
- Fluency in English required; ability to speak other languages desirable.
What we can offer you
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with ambition and a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work;
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;
- A 2-year employment contract;
- A competitive salary.
Location: Brussels preferred, or one of the other ECF office locations
Start date: As soon as possible
Please send your CV and a short cover letter in English to the following email address: [email protected].
Indicate ‘Recruitment – Senior Associate International Climate Politics Hub’ in the subject line.
Candidates need to be in the possession of a work permit for the work location, in case applicable. Telephone calls will not be forwarded to the recruitment team. Due to the high number of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. All applications will be treated confidentially.
Deadline for applications: 25 April 2018
Early applications are encouraged, and an appointment may be made before the deadline if the right candidate is found.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org