The project manager will be mainly responsible for managing a four-year, multi-partner project funded by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida) that aims to better equip key stakeholders in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region for the implementation of safe and sustainable wastewater reuse models. The project will address the challenges that currently limit the upscaling and expansion of safe wastewater reuse across the MENA region. To achieve this, the project will create and support national and regional Learning Alliances in three countries (Egypt, Jordan and Lebanon).
In addition, the project manager will support, if and when required, other IWMI projects in the MENA region and contribute to the regional office administration.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the primary supervision of the Research Group Leader – Water, Health and Nutrition, the project manager will have authority to run the project on a day-to-day basis and will be responsible for the following:
Engagement with partners
- Liaise with government officials and other uptake partners to ensure that the project is aligned to their regulatory and legal needs.
- Monitor the work plans of partners and ensure timely delivery of agreed outputs.
- Facilitate regular virtual and physical meetings with implementing partners for coordination and planning.
- Establish, operationalize and facilitate the Project Regional Learning Alliance for stakeholder engagement, including all associated workshops.
Project personnel management
- Guide and manage the performance of direct reports at IWMI’s MENA office.
- Facilitate teamwork and ensure coordination between project consultants, partners and staff at IWMI’s MENA office.
- Support the organization and coordination of field visits for IWMI staff and other personnel related to the project in Egypt.
Project administration, finance and procurement
- Be responsible for all financial, operational, logistical, procurement and accounting processes for the project.
- Ensure project issues and risks are logged, monitored, reported on, managed and mitigated, and escalate risks and issues to IWMI/project leadership, as required.
- Ensure financial processes and procedures are implemented in accordance with Sida and IWMI requirements, in coordination with the Finance Unit.
- Support the external audit process and ensure retention of project records is compliant with IWMI and Sida policies, in coordination with the Finance Unit.
- Provide financial reports to the Project Leader and Finance Unit as required.
- Prepare procurement documents and manage the procurement process for goods and services required to support effective field operations, ensuring they are in accordance with Sida’s and IWMI’s policies and guidelines, in coordination with the Finance Unit.
- Coordinate the processing of service provider work orders and invoices with the Human Resources Department.
- Serve as the main point of contact with service providers and address contractual matters as required.
- Ensure compliance with IWMI’s anti-corruption and due diligence processes, in collaboration with the Program Management Office and Corporate Services Division.
- Assist the Project Leader in drafting progress reports to Sida as required.
- Assist the Project Leader in drafting annual project work plans and budgets.
- Contribute to technical reports and journal articles when appropriate.
- Coordinate project records with the Program Management Office.
Contribution to regional office administration
- In collaboration with IWMI’s Regional Representative in the MENA office, engage and liaise with relevant government ministries and agencies to establish, renew or renegotiate the Institute’s agreement with national governments in the three countries covered by the wastewater project, as may be needed from time to time.
- Serve as a member of the regional office administration team and contribute to the smooth running of the office through the discharge of duties that may be assigned by the Regional Representative from time to time, ensuring this will not affect the time needed to manage wastewater project activities.
- Good command of spoken and written English and Arabic.
- The ability to effectively establish priorities, and plan, organize, implement and monitor work activities with limited supervision.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people in a multicultural and multi-disciplinary environment, with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Demonstrated skills in project management software.
- Demonstrated skills in facilitation methods for participatory decisions and shared visions with stakeholders.
- Good command of spoken and written French.
EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- An MSc (or equivalent) related to one of the fields of environmental or social sciences or other discipline relevant to wastewater treatment and reuse for beneficial purposes.
- Minimum of 8 years of work experience, which includes at least 4 years of demonstrated experience in project management and management of partners’ consortia in the MENA region.
- Prior experience in water or wastewater management.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org