International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
The Emergency Response Unit (ERU) is the coordination, day-to-day management body of International Medical Corps for all newly or reclassified Emergencies within International Medical Corps scope of work. In addition to coordinating emergencies, the ERU is responsible for the decision to deploy staff in leading roles in emergencies
The Emergency Response Assistant supports the Emergency Response Unit both operationally and strategically from headquarters. The Emergency Response Assistant will support emergency responses by assisting with management and deployment of emergency response personnel, facilitating inter-departmental coordination, supporting program implementation and compiling reports. Additionally, the Emergency Response Program Assistant will monitor early warning and global emergencies. The position reports to the Director of the Emergency Response Unit.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function with or without reasonable accommodation.
Provide ongoing support for organizational and operational objectives of the Emergency Response Unit
- Backstop the daily operations of emergency response programs to ensure appropriate response to context changes, mission, program, and beneficiary needs, donor positioning, lessons learned, and best practices;
- Facilitate compliance with internal and external regulations, all applicable laws, and contractual obligations, in consultation with Legal;
- Manage timely and proper reports (internal, financial, donor, special and other) and their flow within and without International Medical Corps including International Medical Corps-UK including review, analysis, and compliance with deadlines;
- Collaborate with other departments to develop agency guidelines and materials for emergency response interventions. Develop ERU capacity statements and compile past ERU experiences under a systemic program theme;
- Assist in the proposal process, which may include proposal writing, editing and proofreading, coordination of International Medical Corps departments, technical input, preparation for submission, submission, following through the approval process, and assisting in start-up activities;
- Support the Senior Director, Emergency Response Unit in developing and presenting material and presentations related to International Medical Corps’ Emergency response work;
- Contribute to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of the organizations Code of Conduct, ethics, values and stand-point with regard to internal and external actors;
- Monitor developments in crises areas worldwide;
- Collect, synthesize, and analyze information pertaining to humanitarian emergencies and the response efforts of International Medical Corps, and draw upon that information to draft, edit, appropriately format, and disseminate a wide range of internal and external information products
- Coordinate closely with Emergency Response Unit focal points and field personnel to harmonize information collection and respond to information requests.
- Support ERU preparedness efforts through regular disaster monitoring and issuing notifications/monitoring updates based on the ERU early warning system.
- Facilitate requests between International Medical Corps headquarters offices and field Emergency Response Teams;
- Deploy as necessary to provide direct support to emergency response teams;
- Perform other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed above are representative of the nature and levels of work assigned and are not necessarily all- inclusive
• Other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.
Compliance & Ethics: Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level ofintegrity.
- A graduate degree from an accredited college or university in International Relations or related field and two years of experience; including emergency response and field experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Thorough knowledge of acceptable developing country program and project design criteria;
- Strong internal coordination experience with multiple departments and functions;
- Understanding of health and development concepts in developing countries;
- Outstanding organizational skills;
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written;
- Excellent self-motivation skills;
- Experience in effectively dealing with international and headquarters staff. The ability to deal with a broad spectrum of people;
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently;
- Excellent ability to handle multiple tasks and many administrative details in a fast paced and constantly changing environment;
- Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other general experience with software programs;
- Extremely flexible, and have the ability to cope with stressful situations and frustrations;
- Creativity and the ability to work with limited resources;
- Excellent decision making skills;
- Must work independently under difficult conditions.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org