Health Care Without Harm (HCWH) Europe is a non-profit European membership organisation of hospitals, healthcare systems, healthcare professionals, local authorities, research/academic institutions and environmental and health organisations. As part of the global HCWH network, it supports and empowers the healthcare sector by driving improvements in sustainable healthcare across Europe and supporting international work. The organisation currently has 84 members in 26 countries of the WHO European Region, including 17 Member States of the European Union.
HCWH Europe brings the voice of healthcare professionals to the European policy debate about key issues - chemicals, climate change and health, green building, sustainable procurement, pharmaceuticals, sustainable food, and waste management.
The Executive Director will be responsible for developing strategies, providing programme direction, enabling membership growth and development, building partnerships, leading the organisation’s fundraising efforts and developing the financial base for HCWH Europe, as well as leading a team of committed staff in the office in Brussels.
Contract: Permanent, full-time contract
Reports to: HCWH Europe’s Board of Directors and a dotted reporting line to the International Managing Director of HCWH
Direct reports: All HCWH Europe staff
Remuneration: HCWH Europe offers a competitive salary with additional benefits including: meal vouchers, monthly travel support, hospitalisation insurance, pension plan, holiday payment, and a 13-month salary
Location: Brussels office (including frequent travel within Europe and globally, as required)
Role and responsibilities
The position of Executive Director at HCWH Europe requires a strong drive, strategic abilities, a collaborative working style, the ability to lead fundraising initiatives on behalf of the organisation, and the capacity to consolidate and build relationships across the health sector in Europe.
- Develop and fulfil the organisation’s mission and programme of work in order to influence and enable sustainable healthcare across Europe, as well as linking work on sustainable healthcare in Europe with the rest of the world;
- Ensure that the work of the European office compliments and supports the organisation’s global vision, mission, and goals, which includes liaising and collaborating with other HCWH regional offices and teams;
- Exert leadership, oversee staff development, and ensure good team morale;
- Work with HCWH Europe’s Board to improve and maintain the financial health of the organisation; this includes fundraising as well as reporting to various funders, including the European Commission Life+ grant programme.
- Develop the organisation’s long-term strategy so it can achieve its mission in a consistent and timely manner;
- Provide leadership in developing the programme, organisational, and financial plans in collaboration with the Board of Directors and staff, and carry out plans and policies with board support;
- Ensure the board is fully functional and regularly informed on the condition of the organisation and all important factors influencing it;
- Develop the organisation’s programmatic, membership, fundraising, communications, and organisational development strategies ensuring they are up- to-date and adhered to;
- Participate as a key member of the HCWH International Council (comprising of all Executive Directors from HCWH’s regions and additional staff), as well as other leadership teams connecting the European and international work of HCWH;
- Lead the development of the Global Green and Healthy Hospitals (GGHH) network in Europe, in collaboration with the HCWH Global team;
- Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with international, EU, national, and local regulations;
- Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with members and partner organisations;
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in sustainable healthcare;
- Publicise the activities of the organisation, its programmes, and goals;
- Represent the programmes and vision of the organisation to agencies, members, organisations, policy-makers, and the general public;
- Represent HCWH Europe and the wider HCWH network at conferences and events as appropriate;
- Oversee an effective management team, with appropriate provision for succession;
- Ensure staff development and training, and assist staff in relating their specialised work to the overall goals of the organisation;
- Maintain an office that attracts, retains, and motivates a diverse team of quality staff;
- Be responsible for ensuring sound financial and reporting practices;
- Develop and diversify the fundraising efforts of the organisation.
- Bachelor’s degree – BA/BS/BSc (A combination of relevant experience/education may be accepted as substitute);
- 8-10 years of experience in a leadership role in either the non-profit or healthcare sector, experience in influencing EU health and environment policies, and inspiring a growing and highly effective team;
- Experience managing strategic planning, organisational development, resource mobilisation, implementing performance management processes (i.e. scaling a business and financial management) and reporting (including budgeting and managing a budget);
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Master’s degree in related area;
- 10+ years of experience in a leadership role in the non-profit sector;
- Experience with membership organisations;
- Experience and knowledge in the field of sustainable healthcare;
- Proficiency or working knowledge of additional European languages.
The deadline to apply for this position is 23:59 CEST on 04/06/2018 but candidates may be considered on a rolling basis, so early applications are strongly encouraged. Formal interviews are expected to be held in Brussels between 18/07/2018 and 29/07/2018.
Please send an email with the subject line: Application for Executive Director. Please attach your CV and a one-page covering letter clearly stating your salary expectations as two separate documents, preferably in a .pdf format.
Please note that we may not be able to reply to all applicants and only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org