Vacancy Notice: 2018-07 (re-advertised), Open to Internal and External Candidates
Classification/Type of Appointment: General Service Staff, Grade G5, Fixed Term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 12 June 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall guidance of the Senior Regional Resource Management Officer (SRRMO) and the direct supervision of the EU Financial Reporting and Programme Officer, the successful candidate will work in the EU Financial Liaison and Regional Resource Management Division to provide technical assistance to IOM missions worldwide in financial, budget and reporting of EC funded projects, with a particular focus on actions funded by the EU Trust Fund for Africa (EUTF). We are aiming at reinforcing the Division with two new staff members.
- In close coordination with the EU Financial Reporting and Programme Support Officer, provide general guidance to IOM offices relevant to the EUTF funded projects on financial, budgeting and contractual matters to facilitate adherence with EU financial reporting requirements during both project development and project implementation;
- Review project documents, budgets and financial reports for projects funded under the EUTF in strict coordination with the involved Country Offices, Regional Offices and IOM central services, as applicable;
- Assist the EU Financial Reporting and Programme Support Officer in carrying out compliance checks of all budgets and financial reports to be submitted to the donor;
- Assist with internal review of sample transactions, including data monitoring, costs verification and analyses and guide the missions to consistently apply EC’s and IOM’s financial and administrative rules and procedures;
- Provide recommendations to enhance the quality of EU funded projects budget and financial reporting functions;
- Assist in monitoring the implementation of contractual obligations towards the EC regarding the EUTF funded projects and suggest appropriate steps to be taken, in coordination with relevant units, to ensure that regular and timely reporting is observed;
- Monitor budget versus actual financial data in relation to EU funded projects and alert the supervisor on unusual trends observed for possible early corrective actions;
- Regularly update and maintain EUTF funded project database with financial and contractual data for follow-up;
- Contribute to the preparation of training materials relevant for financial and administrative staff in IOM missions involved in the financial management of the EUTF projects;
- Undertake duty travels as and when required;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- High School degree/certificate in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or a related field with 5 (five) years of relevant professional experience;
- Completed Bachelor degree from an accredited academic institution, in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or related fields with minimum 3 (three) years of relevant professional experience in the above-mentioned fields.
- Minimum years of relevant proven working experience in business administration, accounting, financial reporting and budget tracking, as required by the level of education above;
- Experience with EU funding instruments and contractual aspects, financial management and reporting is an asset;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and French;
- High level of computer literacy, in particular in Excel and computerized accounting systems. Knowledge of SAP is an advantage;
- Ability to review a variety of data, identify and adjust data discrepancies.
Fluency in English and French required.
- Takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism;
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients and stakeholders;
- Promotes continuous learning and contributes to colleagues’ learning;
- Writes and communicates clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience;
- Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services and proactively develops new ways to resolve problems;
- Plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts;
- Contributes to, and follows team objectives;
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation;
- Displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- The appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable;
- This post is subject to local recruitment. Only persons holding a valid residence and work permit for Belgium will be eligible for consideration.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org