RTI International is seeking an experienced Senior Copy Editor/Publications Coordinator with specific training in editing at least 6 years of focused experience as a publications editor. The successful candidate will have experience working with style guides such as The Chicago Manual of Style or APA and excellent interpersonal communications skills. An international background or experience working with ESL individuals is preferred. The person will provide publications support to RTI's international staff in the production of technical reports, white papers, proposals, journal articles, presentation materials, guidelines documents, outreach materials, newsletters, and brochures. This position will be based in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina.
Duties include the following:
• Apply skills to a broad range of editing/writing/document production tasks, including complex and unusual assignments
• Spearhead publications initiatives
• Provide guidance to less experienced editors
• Edit documents according to the level of edit required (copy, substantive, rewrite)
• Edit English-as-a-second-language (ESL) documents for heavy reorganization and rewriting as required, with attention to grammar, style, format, and consistency according to appropriate style guide or knowledge of client
• Coordinate proposal production efforts
• Work with RTI technical staff to resolve queries and consult on document organization
• Coordinate document production
• Develop style guidelines as needed
• Assign and direct project-specific work of other production staff as needed
• Edit online as needed
• Occasionally write or assemble new material from client-supplied information
- Bachelor’s degree in International Relations, English or related technical writing/editing discipline, Political Science, Foreign Language, or Cultural Studies with at least 6 years of editing experience; or Master’s degree in related discipline and 3 years of relevant experience.
- Demonstrated experience editing ESL documents and working with ESL authors.
- Advanced knowledge of fundamental principles, terminology, and methodology of technical editing and document organization.
- Advanced knowledge of style guides and/or other writing conventions such as Chicago Manual or APA.
- Advanced knowledge of grammar and punctuation rules.
- Broad knowledge of publication processes.
- Broad knowledge of word processing, graphics, and printing processes and software for document production.
- Effective communication skills, required for providing diplomatic and constructive comments to clients, providing project leadership on publications teams, and developing and maintaining strong client base.
- Skill in observing detail.
- Skill in abstracting or condensing general information for inclusion in documents.
- Ability to manage complex long-term projects.
- Sound judgment to analyze tasks and determine appropriate level of effort required for completion.
- Ability to independently organize and prioritize own work and to adapt to changes in priorities, workload, and workflow.
- Ability to successfully execute work on projects that are nonconforming and without precedence.
- Ability to understand and follow written guidelines, including departmental policies, RTI policies and procedures, and work orders.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, other RTI staff, and vendors.
- Fluency in French, Spanish, or Arabic or is a plus.
- To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States, and should not now, or in the future, requires visa sponsorship.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org