The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and in 27 US cities, the IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The Senior HR Associate will provide HR support to the IRC’s US Programs department (USP). US Programs helps to resettle thousands of newly arrived refugees in the United States each year and provides services to thousands more refugees, asylees and victims of human trafficking. The Senior HR Associate reports to the Regional HR Director, US Programs and also works closely with two Regional HR Partners and other members of the HR department.
Under the direction of the Regional HR Director, provide frontline support to field offices, including but not limited to:
- Serve as a reliable source of HR knowledge in response to employee and/or supervisor requests, ensuring compliance with IRC policies and procedures and applicable labor laws
- Facilitate resolution for escalated issues related to benefits, payroll, HRIS, Leaves of Absence, and general employee questions
- Provide review and adjudication for flagged background checks initiated by field offices
- Provide review and approvals for standard job descriptions, position requests, and status changes
- Seek and capitalize on opportunities for improvement around standard processes
- Ensure exit processes are followed in a timely manner (Separation Forms, exit paperwork, exit surveys)
- Participate in the planning and implementation of HR global initiatives for US Programs
- Train office HR Focal Points, managers and employees on HR policies & concepts, as needed
- Support logistics of State of California- required anti-harassment training as needed
- Ensure new hire orientation practices are implemented in all offices and provide technical support as needed, in collaboration with HR colleagues in Benefits, Talent Management, etc.
- Set up and manage USP HR intranet site for HR Focal Points (HRFP) and interested managers, and support the establishment of an HRFP Community of Practice
- Provide logistical support to identified offices for recruitment and onboarding of new staff
- Provide administrative support to HR Partners, as requested
- Other duties as assigned. IRC is a fast-moving organization, and duties will evolve and change over time.
Key Working Relationships
Position Reports to: Regional HR Director, US Programs
Indirect Reporting Line to: n/a
Position works in collaboration with: USP HR Partners, US Programs clients; HR colleagues in Talent Acquisition, HRIS, Compensation, Benefits, Talent Management; Finance, Integrity and other HQ teams.
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in Human Resources or Business Administration; or equivalent experience
- Human Resources experience in an HR support function
- Experience with Employee Relations a plus
- Experience in a large, matrixed organization a plus
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Foundational knowledge of HR concepts
- Working knowledge and understanding of federal and multi-state employment laws, experience with California state law preferred; PHR or PHR/CA a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self-motivated, ability to plan, prioritize and problem solve independently
- Flexibility and adaptability to a continually changing environment
- Ability to maintain confidentiality to the highest degree
- Ability to build and foster effective and positive working relationship with colleagues and internal clients
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; experience in Workday and applicant tracking systems a plus
- Predominantly standard work environment with considerable time at a computer terminal
- Occasional domestic travel may be required
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org