We are looking for a highly skilled, innovative and results-oriented individual to fill the position of Director of the CGIAR System Organization’s Program Performance unit. This position offers a unique opportunity to be a part of the world’s largest global agricultural innovation network and contribute to a world free of poverty, hunger, and environmental degradation.
Who We Are
CGIAR is a global research partnership for a food-secure future. CGIAR science is dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources and ecosystem services. Its research is carried out by 15 CGIAR Centers in close collaboration with hundreds of partners, including national and regional research institutes, civil society organizations, academia, development organizations and the private sector. These 15 Centers have close to 10,000 staff based in over 50 countries.
Established in 2012, the CGIAR System Organization provides governance to the CGIAR System in collaboration with the System Council and has about 40 staff. The System Organization is committed to cultivating a work environment that reflects teamwork, gender equality, and respect for diversity. We endeavor to foster a multi-cultural environment that is free of any form of harassment and discrimination; and that embraces and values individuals regardless of age, ethnicity, race, gender, national or social origin, marital status or any other form of personal identity.
The Director, Program Performance is a key member of the System Organization’s executive team and supports the following key areas:
• The delivery of CGIAR’s current portfolio of research programs and platforms, and the evolution of the portfolio during the course of CGIAR’s business cycle
• The scoping, vision and design process leading up to the next round of CGIAR research programs and platforms as part of a new “2030 Plan”
• The design and effective implementation of performance-based management systems in support of CGIAR’s Strategy and Results Framework, in a manner that fosters accountability and mutual trust between CGIAR’s stakeholders, and promotes quality of research for development.
• The capacity of CGIAR research programs and platforms, and the System to identify and respond to emerging global agricultural issues.
• Stimulate innovation and excellence in the evolution and delivery of CGIAR’s current portfolio of research programs and platforms by providing leadership and guidance to CGIAR’s Centers and Science Leaders on effective strategies, processes, and deliverables to support successful implementation of the current portfolio, including through the integration of new initiatives and capabilities as appropriate.
• In line with CGIAR’s multi-year business cycle and in consultation with CGIAR’s Centers and other key stakeholders, taking into account strategic advice provided by the System’s advisory and evaluation functions, lead the overall development process for CGIAR’s next portfolio of research programs and platforms.
• Provide strategic leadership and operational direction for the design and implementation of a robust, integrated performance management framework for the CGIAR System.
• Take the lead on presenting an excellent annual CGIAR Performance Report by stewarding the preparation and delivery of robust performance data sourced by internal and System-wide tools and overseeing the development of a value-adding annual analysis of CGIAR’s portfolio of research programs and platforms.
• Support the CGIAR System in periodically reviewing and supporting its strategic direction, and coordinate the development and support the drafting process of the program elements of a new 2030 Plan, in collaboration with CGIAR’s Centers, Funders, and other stakeholders.
• Provide strategic guidance and evidence-based analysis to the System Management Office management team, System Management Board and the System Council on a range of programmatic issues concerning the effectiveness, efficiency, relevance and value-for-money proposition of CGIAR’s portfolio of research programs and platforms, and on evaluations and impact assessments.
• Represent CGIAR as needed at meetings and other fora with a focus on enhancing awareness of CGIAR’s mission and role, and provide operational materials as required to support CGIAR advocacy efforts. Build excellent relationships across the CGIAR system and with key external partners – including leading on the relationship with CGIAR’s science advisory function.
• Contribute to the development and successful delivery of the CGIAR System Organization’s annual business plan, taking responsibility for engaging colleagues, inspiring performance, and innovation by providing day-to-day leadership to a small team of colleagues, and ensuring an energetic and highly effective team that works collaboratively across the System.
• An advanced degree in the biophysical or social sciences of direct relevance to agricultural research is essential.
• At least 15 years’ relevant experience – for example, in the management of research for development programs and projects, or in program/institutional management in an international research setting or in developing countries.
• Knowledge of design and/or implementation of performance management systems; and program monitoring, evaluation, reporting and decision making linked to resource allocation – ideally in an international setting.
• A performance-oriented working style, and capacity to foster effective and collaborative internal and external relationships and motivate change across dispersed decision-making structures.
Please send your application letter and CV in English and as separate attachments; ensuring that neither document contains your marital status, age, or photograph.
Note: All received applications will be acknowledged; however, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Applications received after the closing date for applications will not be considered.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org