The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees offers assistance and protection to refugees around the world. UNHCR is one of the largest refugee agencies, with a staff of over 9,300 employees in 125 countries who help millions of refugees, returnees and internally displaced, and stateless persons.
The UNHCR Regional Representation for EU Affairs in Brussels (RREUA) is seeking to recruit an: Associate External Relations Officer for a short-term Temporary Appointment contract.
The Associate External Relations Officer will be part of the Regional Office for Western Europe within RREUA and will cover Belgium and Luxemburg. S/he will work under the supervision of the Deputy Regional Representative. Advice may also be provided by relevant functional units at HQ. External contacts are with a broad range of partners and stakeholders, including inter alia, government, media, embassies, donors, UN agencies, NGOs and other national and international organizations, as well as general public on matters of importance to the Organization.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Stay abreast of the challenges posed by the political context, the UN and humanitarian reform, and institutional developments in the area of forced displacement and humanitarian operations;
- Assist the implementation of a communications strategy that generates support for UNHCR’s operations from external partners (e.g. the general public, governments, partners, media, academia, NGOs, private sector and persons of concern);
- Assist in the coordination of the drafting of, situation reports, briefing notes, background material, talking points, fact sheets, press releases and articles;
- Assist in the management of information flows within the country operations by identifying priority matters, securing, analyzing and disseminating documentation and information to support country operations and corporate communication processes and priorities;
- Consolidate information on UNHCR’s country operations and identify appropriate messages for campaigns and appeals;
- Propose events and initiatives (e.g. commercial, cultural, political and sports) to promote the work of UNHCR and take action as appropriate;
- Support the management of media relations by, inter alia, responding to direct queries, publishing press releases, handling interview requests and organizing regular briefings and visits to country operations;
- Promote visibility of UNHCR’s work and advocate for support for the people of concern through providing inputs for social media and other web content;
- Organize missions to the field and press briefings for external parties as required;
- Perform other related duties as required.
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience
- Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations, Journalism, Communications, or other related fields plus minimum 3 years of previous work experience relevant to the function. Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master’s) plus 2 years or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) plus 1 year of previous relevant work experience may also be accepted;
- Highly developed drafting ability in working language of duty station (French);
- Excellent command of English;
- Very good knowledge of local languages (including Flemish) and local institutions is essential.
Desirable qualifications & competencies
- Working knowledge of another UN language is an asset;
- Experience in (UNHCR) humanitarian operations in the Field;
- Excellent computer skills (MS Word, Excel and Power Point essential), exposure to graphic design software;
- Fund-raising and programming/programme management experience;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Experience of working with social media.
Interested candidates are invited to fill in the Personal History (P.11) form which can be obtained at www.unhcr.org/recruit/p11new.doc. Completed forms are to be submitted by Tuesday, July 10th, 2018 at 24h00, together with a motivation letter in English to [email protected] with ‘Associate External Relations Officer’ in the subject.
Late applications will not be accepted. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Immediately available candidates will be given priority.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org