McKinsey & Company is a preeminent global management consulting firm. For over nine decades, McKinsey has served as a trusted external adviser on the most-critical issues facing senior management at the world’s most-important institutions. With consultants deployed from 130 offices in more than 60 countries, McKinsey advises leading institutions on all issues on their agenda, including strategy, operations, organization, marketing, risk and technology.
McKinsey’s Public Sector and Social Practice (PSSP) provides management consulting services to governments at the federal, state, and local levels.
We are seeking a Client Development Advisor (CDA) who will work with our EU Client Service Team (CSTs) on client development, capture management, and proposal delivery, thereby helping these CSTs to grow and have greater impact.
SCOPE OF ACTIVITIES
The CDA will work closely with CST leaders and consultants serving European Union Institutions to expand the Firm’s impact within the markets, by playing a key role in generating new engagements. We call this process “client development.” The CDA will have responsibilities across the client development lifecycle (e.g., business development, capture management and proposals) as an individual contributor and key catalyst for collaboration with our leaders and associates.
In the business-development phase, the CDA will:
- Establish relationships with target client organizations;
- Advise PSSP leaders about whether and how to pursue opportunities;
- Work with CSTs to construct comprehensive client account plans and manage the client opportunity pipeline;
- Make recommendations to CST leaders about how they could more effectively develop opportunities in target clients and make an impact;
- Dentify partners which whom McKinsey could team for emerging procurements, and finalize teaming agreements.
In the proposal-delivery phase, the CDA will:
- Understand the objectives and requirements of the tender and formulate a view about what it will take for McKinsey to win the procurement;
- Collaborate with team members to ensure high quality proposals;
- Create workplans and align resources to complete the work of drafting high-quality proposals on time;
- Orchestrate personnel as they write proposals;
- Help identify relevant internal and external resources that can be used in the proposal, including managing the relevant proposal repository;
- Review proposals at different stages of the drafting process, and help the drafting team make course corrections where necessary. This includes challenging the proposal team and partners when appropriate;
- Help partners and consultants to prepare for oral presentations, including counseling colleagues on their objectives during the oral presentations and providing feedback on rehearsals.
- Knowledge. The CDA will need to have a full and deep understanding of the EU market, corresponding procurement process, how such procurement decisions are made, and how a consultancy like McKinsey can maximize the chance of winning new contracts;
- Interpersonal skills. The CDA will need to interact collaboratively with consultants, forging effective relationships across McKinsey’s distributed and non-hierarchical organization. The CDA will need to build consensus for his or her ideas and help lead the broader PSSP without formal line authority;
- Strategic thinking. The CDA will need to collaborate with leadership of the to identify new opportunities to grow these CSTs and increase their impact over time;
- Client Relationship Building. The CDA will have a successful track record developing client relationships within the EU;
- Entrepreneurialism. The CDA will need to initiative to surface and pursue innovative ideas, without prompting from other PSP leaders;
- Writing and editorial skills. The CDA will need to lead a team of writers, write critical sections of proposals himself or herself, and advise senior members of the PSP about how to improve their writing;
- Location. This position will be based in Brussels, Belgium.
The CDA must have a graduate degree from a respected institution.
The CDA should have at least seven years of professional experience in business development, capture management, and proposal delivery in EU market. Preference for candidates who have worked at professional-services firms.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org