BlackRock is one of the world’s preeminent asset management firms and a premier provider of global investment management, risk management and advisory services to institutional, intermediary and individual investors around the world. BlackRock offers a range of solutions — from rigorous fundamental and quantitative active management approaches aimed at maximizing outperformance to highly efficient indexing strategies designed to gain broad exposure to the world’s capital markets. Our clients can access our investment solutions through a variety of product structures, including individual and institutional separate accounts, mutual funds and other pooled investment vehicles, and the industry-leading iShares® ETFs.
Business Unit Overview:
Blackrock’s Legal and Compliance Department protects Blackrock’s reputation and provides client focused advice. It understands challenges and advises on the impact of regulation in our business, with the objective of:
- Actively participating in business decisions to champion our clients’ interests and assist the business to translate Compliance into their daily work
- Have client interests at the centre of everything we do
- Cultivate and enhance the compliance culture within BlackRock
- Provide thought leadership on the impact and implementation of regulation
- Developing and fostering excellence within the Compliance team.
BlackRock is a leader in investment management, risk management and advisory services for institutional and retail clients worldwide. With approximately $5.4 trillion under management, BlackRock offers products that span the risk spectrum to meet clients’ needs, including active, enhanced and index strategies across markets and asset classes. Products are offered in a variety of structures including separate accounts, mutual funds, iShares(R) (exchange traded funds), and other pooled investment vehicles. BlackRock also offers risk management, advisory and enterprise investment system services to a broad base of institutional investors through BlackRock Solutions(R). Headquartered in New York City, the firm has over 14000 employees in 38 countries. For additional information, please visit the Company’s website at www.BlackRock.com.
This role is within the Global Privacy and Data Protection team
The successful candidate will coordinate privacy compliance activities globally, and will interact on a regular basis with members of the Legal & Compliance, Information Security, Technology, Business, and Audit groups as well as with other business leaders, and may represent BlackRock externally on privacy matters. Candidates must have a record of providing sound and practical advice on compliance activities, particularly in data protection, in complex situations and must demonstrate their ability to influence others to implement that advice. Additionally, direct experience working for or with financial regulators and/or data protection authorities is highly desired.
- Advise on legal and regulatory aspects of compliance regarding data protection laws, rules and guidance applicable to BlackRock globally, in particular with respect to collecting, sharing and accessing personal information, marketing to consumers, providing and honouring opt-outs, fair process notifications, and data breach incident response.
- Legal advisor for GDPR compliance planning and implementation.
- Develop and implement compliance models for privacy, data protection, cross-border data transfers, and other privacy and personal data matters
- Monitor legislative and regulatory developments in the area of data protection and privacy
- Partner with control and oversight groups to create, maintain, test, and monitor best practices for privacy and data protection controls
- Participate and advise on data protection issues in firm-wide strategic initiatives
- Review data protection legislation and regulation and provide concise legal advice regarding potential impact to the firm
- Identify and mitigate data protection issues and risks
- Represent BlackRock in industry organizations and regulatory and legislative meetings and forums
- Relevant privacy and data protection experience, in particular with respect to the EU Data Protection Directive, the EU General Data Protection Regulation, the Privacy of Electronic Communications Directive, the ePrivacy regulation, the Data Retention Directive, and the EU CyberSecurity initiative.
- Familiarity with privacy laws and regulation in EU, Asia, and North and South America
- Experience working with regulatory frameworks in the banking/finance sector
- Privacy and/or Information Security qualifications (CISSP, CISM, CIPP, CIPM) desirable
- Experience developing presentations for senior leadership
- Strong computer and technical skills
- Excellent business judgment
- Degree and experience in law, international relations, and public policy are all desirable
- Ability to clarify tasks and requirements, organize time, and manage workload to ensure deadlines are met
- Ability to manage multiple tasks concurrently
- Ability to communicate effectively in verbal and written form
- Seeks to understand the international framework of data protection requirements
- Committed to thinking and acting with integrity and honesty
- Motivated, humorous, and personable with strong attention to detail
- Passionate about privacy and personal data protection
- Develops solutions to problems, checking where appropriate with senior management
- Takes ownership of problems and ensures they are resolved to meet objectives
- Rejects shortcuts that compromise quality of service
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org