Founded in 1981, the Committee to Protect Journalists is an independent, non-profit organization defending journalists worldwide without regard to their political ideology. Through its work to safeguard journalists, CPJ protects the rights of all people to have access to diverse and independent sources of information.
The Committee to Protect Journalists is seeking a highly motivated and detail-oriented individual to fill the position of Audience Engagement Associate at CPJ’s digital team in New York.
You are passionate about press freedom, social media, and journalism. You love distilling ideas into 280-character sentences, crafting engaging Instagram stories, and have a knack for tracing a trending story to its source. You know that 2018 cannot be a Twitter hashtag and can easily update a Twitter moment. The potential of chatbots and push notifications is exciting to you.
You’re also proactive and willing to take initiative and wake up thinking about how you would create the next trending topic that could help set a journalist free or highlight their case.
This is a position at CPJ’s digital team in New York, which distributes CPJ’s digital content on social media, engages our audiences, and tracks web analytics.
- Work with the digital team to execute CPJ’s digital strategy and ensure that staff is properly trained in the use of digital and social media tools.
- Develop, maintain, and grow CPJ followers and drive engagement on major social platforms.
- Disseminate CPJ content--including data, daily news, special reports, video, and audio-- on social media platforms in accordance with the digital strategy and advocacy campaign objectives.
- Create and disseminate social media-specific content tailored for each platform based on CPJ content.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of social media standards and best practices. Manage social accounts with large numbers of followers.
- Reply to social media inquiries on social platforms and tactically react to trending topics.
- Ensure that individual campaigns, initiatives, and reports have a robust digital component.
- Leverage content and social media presence in support of fundraising.
- Coordinate integration of contacts database, email blasting, and newsletters with support from the appropriate departments.
- Grow CPJ’s social presence on emerging platforms as needed.
- Track CPJ’s website traffic, social media performance and email newsletters according to chosen metrics.
- Continuously innovate to ensure that CPJ uses the best and most appropriate digital tools available. Evolve and adapt as required to meet the organization’s goals as well as campaigns’ goals.
- Knowledge of social media in news dissemination, campaigning, fundraising, audience building, coverage of live events, social listening, and engagement.
- An understanding of how to cultivate and maintain a social media following on a variety of platforms.
- A basic understanding of digital security methods and trends.
- A collaborative spirit and an ability to balance competing demands from a variety of departments and programs.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Familiarity with AP style is a plus.
- Knowledge of or demonstrable interest in international affairs.
- A passion for press freedom, and eagerness to spread CPJ mission as widely as possible.
- Ability to work efficiently and accurately on a tight schedule.
This is a full-time, exempt position. Benefits include 100 percent employer paid health, dental, life, and long-term disability insurance.
Please email a cover letter, résumé, and references and include "Audience Engagement Associate" in the subject line.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org