The Strategic Partnerships (SP) unit plays an integral role in cultivating and maintaining strategic relationships and alliances that are essential for achieving the mission of LWR. These relationships encompass a wide range and number of development partnerships including government agencies, foundations, and individual and corporate donors. SP also provides critical business development and proposal management support. The unit serves as a "hub" across practices, coordinating pipeline development, managing proposals, monitoring proposal progress, and providing strategic analysis of business development efforts.
SP is seeking a Foundations Manager in our Baltimore, MD office. In collaboration with the Senior Director for Strategic Partnerships and the Senior Relationship Manager for Foundations, this position supports SP's partnership development, foundation relations, and new business development activities in pursuit of our annual institutional fundraising target.
This is a one-year position that will report to the Senior Director of Strategic Partnerships.
Identification and Tracking of New Business Opportunities
1. Monitors philanthropic trends, conducts research needed to inform concept and proposal development, and advises on cultivation strategies for foundation donors.
2. Develops a clear understanding of the current project portfolio, staff and organization capabilities
3. Researches opportunities with new donors and new partners as directed
4. Utilizes CRM platform
5. Supports the development of capture plans for assigned opportunities and supports regional teams in developing capture plans, as needed
Proposal/Concept Development and Coordination
1. Write sections of concept papers and proposals as assigned, including clear descriptions of the technical approach, institutional capacity and experience, management plans, personnel/key staff qualification sections, budget narratives and annexes, and ensures consistency across these sections.
2. Conducts research on the capacities of peer NGOs as part of the proposal development process
3. for a specific opportunity, if necessary.
4. Collects, tracks, fact-checks, edits and compiles required documentation from the proposal team
5. Contributes to the proposal and concept development process as proposal coordinator, lead writer or technical content coordinator, and/or support writer of organizational capacity sections.
6. Reviews proposals and concept papers and ensures formatting of proposal documents are donor compliant and adhere to LWR style
Support of Foundation Relations
1. Identify and conduct or update research on foundations that have investments and resources aligned with LWR priorities.
2. Support development or updating of specific foundation engagement strategies in coordination with the Senior Relationship Manager for Foundations.
3. Prepare briefing materials for cultivation and information sharing calls and visits, as necessary.
4. Support the development of scalable partnership models with foundations, drawing from external and internal practice and learning.
5. Coordinate with the Senior Relationship Manager for Foundations to write, edit and coordinate concept notes and proposals, ensuring compliance with foundation interests and guidelines, while adhering to LWR program priorities and policies
6. Develop boilerplate language that can be used by field staff to develop and submit concept notes and proposals
Editing and Marketing Materials
1. Draft and develop project 2-Pagers, as requested, in coordination with the project technical and implementation teams
2. Writes capability statements as required
1. At least three years of work experience in the international development field with an INGO, foundation, government or corporate sector entity.
2. Master's degree in business, international development, economics or a relevant field (or equivalent job experience)
3. Experience in full cycle business development process including pre-positioning, pipeline development, capture, and propos al management
4. Knowledge of US Government proposal processes and contracting mechanisms, familiarity with USAID
5. Excellent knowledge of MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint. Knowledge of other design programs to support visual graphics a plus.
6. Enthusiastic, results driven team player
7. Strong analytical and time management skills
8. Outstanding communication skills verbally and in writing
9. Ability to establish priorities in a time-sensitive environment, and meet deadlines with specific attention to detail and quality
10. Good interpersonal skills
11. Experience in tracking foundation/industry trends, federal spending and awards
12. Willingness to travel internationally
13. Commitment to LWR's core values and ability to model those values in relationships with colleagues and partners
14. Experience with and commitment to working in a diverse and multi-cultural environment
1. Foundation experience is a plus.
2. Experience with donor/CRM databases is a plus.
3. Knowledge of disaster risk reduction/conservation/environmental issues/agriculture is preferred.
4. Familiarity with public private partnerships and alliances
5. Technical experience in one or more of the following areas: food security/livelihoods, supply chain development, trade and competitiveness, technology for development, impact investment, export and market development, gender and youth
6. Understanding of current methodologies and standards for program design, monitoring and evaluation; abreast of current trends and resources in international development and humanitarian aid.
7. Proficiency in a foreign language (Spanish and French)
8. Commitment to LWR's core values and ability to model those values in relationships with colleagues and partners
9. Experience with and commitment to working in a diverse and multi-cultural environment
Please note that this is a one-year position.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org