Sustainable Development Goal 16 on inclusive, just and peaceful societies is a critical enabling goal for the entire sustainable development agenda. The 2030 Agenda will require action to secure peace, deliver justice, promote inclusive participation in politics and beyond, and consolidate effective, accountable and inclusive institutions if the priorities in the Agenda as a whole are to be realized. Dedicated support will be required to enable Member States to better source technical expertise and learn from experience elsewhere to improve implementation of Goal 16. The development of effective platforms for information and knowledge sharing through a partnership based approach can accelerate achievement of peaceful, just and inclusive societies, as a key component for delivery of the entire 2030 Agenda.
The portal for Goal 16 (the “SDG 16 Hub”) will be officially launched in July 2018 and will facilitate the capture, analysis and deployment of knowledge amongst Member States, and ensure that learning in one context is available for other countries to consider and adapt if appropriate. This portal will also be a space for all interested stakeholders to contribute substantially to the Goal 16 discussion. The G16 Global Platform is intended to be a one stop knowledge portal for all the information on peaceful, just and inclusive societies.
The SDG 16 Hub has a curated knowledge section with the three main pillars of WHAT is SDG16, WHO are the main stakeholders working on this goal and HOW to implement this global goal; in addition to having an interactive space to promote engagement and conversations. The Hub will focus on the following:
- Promoting the exchange of Knowledge and updates on Goal 16 at the global level.
- Promoting dialogue on UNDP’s work with Member States and stakeholders on the implementation, measurement and reporting on Goal 16.
- Facilitating the exchange of knowledge about tools and strategies on how to tackle the impediments to implement Goal 16
- Strengthening interlinkages between Goal 16 and other goals and targets of the 2030 Agenda
- Fostering learning from each other’s experience – lessons learned and best practices.
Duties and Responsibilities
In order to help manage the community side of the SDG16 portal the UNDP OGC will engage a Junior Consultant to provide support to the following work streams:
- Ensure that the knowledge resources on the Hub are up to date at all times.
- Function as a ‘help desk’ in case there are any technical issues that need resolution.
- Manage any queries that the Hub receives from time to time.
- Help in reaching out to relevant partners and stakeholders with a view to ensure that the Hub build a good network of partners
- Overall help in ensuring that there is visibility of the Hub through outreach and advocacy if needed.
The following is an indicative list of deliverables for each month, subject to modification based on the changing needs and priorities of the team.
- Develop a content management strategy for the Hub that ensures that relevant content is regularly updated on the website
- Be responsible for ensuring that relevant content is regularly uploaded to the Hub
- Ensure that the links and hyperlinks of site copy content are active.
- Act as the primary Help Desk for the Hub to ensure that any online queries are satisfactorily answered in the minimum duration of time.
- Populate the Platform with media materials, ~4 news, ~4 events and 2 blog posts
- Monitor the uploading of content by the community.
- Assist community members to populate the Platform with profile information, discussion topics, knowledge products.
- Assist in the development (compile and edit) monthly newsletter and manage promotion and member list management and growth.
- Understanding of working with Portals and websites; particularly in managing content
- Understanding of communications and outreach at the international level;
- Proven ability to develop user-friendly, high quality communications materials;
- Outstanding writing and editing skills, with proven ability to meet tight deadlines;
- Proven ability to communicate issues effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Knowledge of key actors and networks active on SDG 16
- strong organizational and planning skills;
Required Skills and Experience
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in communications, journalism, international relations, economics, social science, or development-related fields.
- Experience with multilateral development organizations in the areas of communications or knowledge management or content management relevant to the scope of work;
- Proven ability to manage content particularly on websites;
- Strong familiarity with international development issues, including Agenda 2030 and SDG16
- Knowledge of key actors and networks active on SDG 16;
- Outstanding writing and editing skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
Maximum 60 days over a period of six (6) months (August 2018 - February 2019).
The IC will be supervised by the OGC Policy Specialist. S/he is expected to work closely with the respective task managers in the team and incorporate the comments and suggestions from other reviewers.
Office and equipment
Assignment is home-based and the IC will be responsible for his / her own office facilities needed for work.
Assignment is home-based and travel is not foreseen.
The application is a two-step process. Failing to comply with the submission process may result in disqualifying the applications:
Step 1: Interested individual consultants must include the following documents when submitting the applications in UNDP job shop (Please note that only 1 (one) file can be uploaded therefore please include all documents in one file):
- Personal History Form (P11), indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate and at least three (3) professional references (the template can be downloaded from this link: http://www.sas.undp.org/Documents/P11_Personal_history_form.doc
- Brief description of why the individual considers him/herself as the most suitable for the assignment.
- IMPORTANT: Please provide links to any relevant samples of community of practice sites you managed, including writing samples
Step 2: Only applicants who attain a score of 70% and above on the technical evaluation will be contacted and requested to submit a financial proposal.
Scope of Price Proposal and Schedule of Payments:
- Financial proposals must be expressed on the basis of "an all-inclusive daily fee” in USD.
- Payment will be made upon submission of a certificate of payment request, indicating outputs achieved and days worked to be verified and cleared for payment by the supervisor.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org