Beyond the Bomb is looking for a dependable, enthusiastic Field Organizer to manage field outreach and engagement in target states. Ideally, we are seeking an East Coast based organizer, but we will consider other geographies.
In this position, you’ll report to the Field Manager and will help lead Beyond the Bomb’s campaign and mobilization efforts in key regions across the country by recruiting activists, executing trainings, developing grassroots partnerships, managing volunteers, and leading actions to resist the US’s reckless nuclear agenda. You will bring to the table prior organizing experience (paid or volunteer), high attention to detail, strong interpersonal and communication skills, and a passion for justice. This is terrific opportunity for a self-starter to help build a movement at the intersection of foreign policy, advocacy, and culture shift.
The Field Organizer will be responsible for the following key activities:
- Recruitment & Retention: Recruit and retain volunteer leaders at key colleges and target communities within your designated region;
- Activist Organizing & Management: Execute Beyond the Bomb’s campus and community organizing efforts with an emphasis on trainings, escalation and locally-targeted movement building. Guide and promote the work of volunteer leaders by developing campaign materials, running online trainings and calls, conveying campaign priorities via phone and email, and the tracking and reporting of metrics. Support management of our Action Corps program, a youth organizing fellowship;
- Advocacy: Direct local targeting, advocacy and lobbying of key decision-makers;
- Mobilization: Mobilize rapid response actions. Plan and execute large scale mobilizations to draw media and public attention to the threat nuclear weapons pose;
- Partnerships: Build intersectional grasstops and organizational partnerships at the local and regional level;
- Content Development: Draft clear, concise and engaging content that translates complex nuclear weapons issues into engaging narratives to help us build our movement (it’s ok, you don’t have to be an issue expert to do this).
- Have at least 2 years of field organizing experience (paid or volunteer will be considered);
- Have an academic background in international affairs, sociology, communications, or a related field (college degree not required);
- Are intellectually curious by nature and have a knack for solving puzzles;
- Are highly organized and occasionally (OK, frequently) described by your peers as “a tiny bit obsessive” about details;
- Can communicate clearly verbally and in writing;
- Aren’t afraid to ask questions and pushback on nonsensical ideas;
- Can multitask like a boss and keep cool under pressure;
- Won’t be spiritually crushed by thinking about nuclear weapons on the regular;
- Are ready to turn out yourself and activists to all sorts of progressive rallies, marches, sit-ins, vigils, press conferences, etc., with sunscreen, signs, and your yelling voice; and
- Able to meet the physical demands of the job. This includes frequent travel, occasionally intense hours and bending for & carrying boxes of campaign chum up to 30 pounds.
Do you have other skills that we should know about? Here are a few things we think are great but not required:
- Familiarity with Wordpress and/or Action Network;
- Phone banking, canvassing, and storytelling ninja;
- Spanish language proficiency; and, finally,
- Proficiency with air guitar and air drums (in case it comes up).
- Full-time exempt position in a campaign environment (i.e., this isn’t a 9-to-5 office gig and will have lots of peaks and valleys);
- $38,000 starting salary and legit benefits package, including 6 weeks paid leave, 12 weeks paid parental leave, fully-covered platinum health insurance, 10% retirement contributions after a year (on top of salary), green commuting expenses and other fringe benefits;
- A whole lot of latitude to do what needs doing, and earnest, talented, compassionate colleagues to dig in with;
- Ideally based on the East Coast in our DC office, but other geographies considered;
- Some field travel required; and
- Endless positive reinforcement and dedication to your professional development.
Beyond the Bomb is building a nationwide movement with a scrappy team that consistently punches above its weight. That means every hire we make has to be outstanding. If that’s you, please send a cover letter, resume and writing sample with “I want to organize circles around the bomb” in the subject line. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Priority deadline is August 15, 2018.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org