Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UN Environment 's Communications Division communicates UN Environment's core messages to all stakeholders and partners, raising environmental awareness and enhancing the profile of UN Environment worldwide. This post is located in UN Environment/Communication Division at the Nairobi duty station and reports to the Deputy Director under the overall supervision of the Director.
Under the guidance of the Director and the supervision of the Deputy Director, the Chief of Public Advocacy and Communication Section is responsible for the effective and efficient performance of the following duties:-
- Take the lead in development and maintenance of the organisation's public advocacy strategy and the sub-programmatic communication strategies;
- Contribute to the overall strategic direction to the work of the section, with appropriate strategic framing for the requirements of the section's clients, underpinned by a sustained innovation and research strategy that delivers the mandate of the section on the cutting edge of associated communication practices, techniques, channels, and approaches;
- Provide advice to the division's clients on strategies and approaches especially as these link to and leverage public advocacy and communication initiatives;
- Plan and monitor the section's work and deliverables in the context of the organisation's communication strategy and the division's project commitments to UN Environment's Programme of Work and its Medium Term Strategy;
- Manage the section's work and its human and other resources, in accordance with the organisation's policies, procedures, rules, and regulations;
- Contribute to resource mobilisation for the section and division; Ensure timely and comprehensive analysis, reporting and documentation as per client, division, corporate, and donor requirements; Take the lead in youth engagement strategy;
- Serve as the division's focal point on strategies and actions pertaining to the Secretariat of Governing Bodies' Major Groups and Stakeholders portfolio and the stakeholder engagement strategy;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to effective public advocacy and communications strategy; Ability to develop, integrate and manage high-profile public advocacy and communications initiatives; Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations;
- Planning and Organising: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; ability to coordinate the work of others, work to tight deadlines and handle multiple concurrent projects/activities;
- Client orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients" and seeks to see things from clients' point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in communications, journalism, social sciences or other related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in delivering global public advocacy, social mobilization, and/or communication for development programmes/campaigns is required. Experience in fundraising, team and project management is required. Experience in communication and/or marketing work in the environmental protection or sustainable development field is an asset. Experience in International work is an added advantage.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in written and spoken English is required; knowledge of another official UN language is desirable.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org